close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wilson jamming on 200gr LSWC loads!

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by kshutt, Aug 28, 2011.

1. kshutt

kshutt 1911 Load & Shoot!

Aug 22, 2011
    Hey guys... I need some ideas over here. I don't know how many of you guys shoot 200gr LSWC loads out of your 1911's, but I'm calling Wilson on Monday to send mine back for a look. I've been to the range 3 times and shot 655 rounds. I've had 2 FTF issues out of 655 now. It happened both times on the second round out of the magazine. (I use 8 rd. Wilson-Rogers mags.) I sent the pistol back to Wilson several years ago for the same issue, and fired about 1200 rounds without an issue...................... until now. It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! It's never jammed on any other bullet but the 200gr LSWC. Funny thing is that the documentation that came with my pistol says that Wilson and Hackathorn agree that nothing feeds better than the bullet that occasionally jams in this thing!!! What about the rest of you? Do you ever have problems like this? :Cry:

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Just thinking here, but how old are the mags?

3. kshutt

Aug 22, 2011
    Quack, I'm just getting back into shooting my Wilson. The mags have about 1,955 rounds through them. I think I've had them since 1-8-02. Looking at my documentation, I also see that the jams occur on the second round out of the mag(s). Weak mag spring(s)?

4. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    It would be a good start to clean and change out the mag springs.

5. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Often times it's simply ammo related. However Bill is right, the 200 Gr L-SWC is one of the most reliable bullet designs ever made. Another would be HDY-HAP and XTP. My best advice to you KSHUTT, would be to have someone competent to check it out for you. It could be so many different things.
    It's like your car and the mechanic, he can't fix it over the phone, he'll have to see it for propper evaluation/repair etc. Saying that ! Double check ammo/mags. in 9 out of 10 cases, they're the culprit, especially when talking custom 1911.

6. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    2:655...youre very discerning I must say.

I'd say mags also if you've never swapped the springs, they may just be worn out.

7. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Check other mags, if you have the same issues then its the ammo. If not, call WC and theyll send you new stuff

8. kshutt

Aug 22, 2011
    I'm sending the pistol back. I don't see any way that it could be the ammo. The pistol is 100% with factory HP or my ball ammo reloads. I have a hard time believing that my ammo is bad. At one point a few years ago, I sent Wilson 50 rounds of my 200gr LWSC ammo to examine and try. The tech said it was good to go.

9. kshutt

Aug 22, 2011
    I sent you a PM, Jess.

10. kshutt

Aug 22, 2011
    Well, the latest status is that they (Wilson) sent me a shipping label and want the pistol back to examine. Their motto, I think, is that the customer should be "extremely satisfied," so we'll see how it goes. This is the 5th trip back to them for warranty issues over the years, and they know I'm not happy about it. :upset:

11. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I would be willing to be this is a useless trip into them. My money is on the mags or ammo. Just my .02 tho.

12. kshutt

Aug 22, 2011
    I described the type of jam, and the rep didn't feel it was mag related. None of my pistols jam with my reloads.....except this one! I will say, however, that I don't shoot LSWC bullet profiles in any of the rest of them BUT this one. They (Wilson) say that the H&G #68 200gr LSWC bullet feeds better than anything else. Well, okay if you say so. :biggrin1: They said it, not me! If my ammo is the culprit it will strike me odd that the only ammo I can't load to spec is the one jamming in my Wilson. I just don't buy that at all.

I don't use mixed cases for my reloaded ammo either, and the ammo fired out of my Wilson is never fired out of any of the rest of my pistols. I use Starline cases, inspect them regularly, case gauge them, etc. So, I have specific cases that are exclusively for my Wilson 1911. All of the jams have been with the 200gr LSWC bullet. It has NEVER jammed on anything else. Again though, if Wilson says it should feed 100% in my gun then it should feed 100%.

As I've previously stated in the past, the 1911 that I sold to "upgrade" to a Wilson ran hundreds and hundreds of these same loads without a hitch. I wish I had it back. :Cry:

13. kshutt

Aug 22, 2011
    Hey guys...

I received my Wilson back from the factory yesterday. Before they shipped it, the rep that was handling my issue telephoned me to let me know so that I would be expecting it. Wilson also test fired 20 of the 50 rounds of my reloads that I sent to them for inspection and function check. The rep said that 3 different people had inspected my ammo, and found no issues with it. He said it was good ammo. They performed work on the firing pin hole and the extractor. They also replaced all 3 of my Wilson 8 rd. mags. It was also returned to me in a new Wilson pistol bag that has 7 mag holders on one side and 2 large zippered pockets on the other. I'll let you know when I get a chance to take it out for a test drive.

Also, what do you guys that RELOAD like to shoot out of your 1911's? If a RN bullet profile is better feeding than a LSWC bullet profile, sound off! Let me know what you like to shoot! Thanks! :wave:

14. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Kshutt,

I shoot a 200g LSWC a lot for function firing of the guns I build here. Matter of fact, at the range yesterday 500 of them were shot with a load of 4.0 grains of CLAYS powder out of three different guns with zero malfunctions and 50 were fired out of a little colt officers that was worked on with 4.8g of Unique with zero malfunctions. So I doubt it was your reloads unless they are just way too long or short...

That being said, I doubt it was your mag springs either. They typically last forever and it is the first thing people jump on when it comes to problems with the gun but usually the last thing that needs to be replaced, in my opinion and experience.

Now, I do have a WC gun in here right now that is about to have some work done on it and there is something of note about it that may be the same on your gun...the feed ramp width and angle are not conducive to feeding wadcutter style bullets. Most manufacturers cut it with a .500 cutter and at 31.5 degrees which would work great for a 230g ball round or some (not all) hollow points. If it was opened up a touch and re-angled a bit I bet you would have never had the problem you experienced...but that is just my opinion.

Look forward to hearing how it functions for you and I am very happy to hear that WC's customer service treated you so very well. Sounds like they do care about clients that continue to have problems.

15. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    that was a really smart move on your part to send along some of the ammo you're having trouble with...really smart!

16. kshutt

Aug 22, 2011
    Joe C,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I take a lot more time with my reloads than the average person. I don't load fast; I load as accurately as possible. Powder charges are checked and weighed during each session, OAL is constantly monitored, cases are regularly gauged, and primer seating depth is visually checked before I label and box every 50 rounds. I'm as meticulous as I know how to be. I never thought it was my ammo, because it shoots too well in all of my other pistols. I'm giving this pistol another chance before I explore other options. I hope I'm not disappointed. If I am, I may be contacting you to inspect it. Your post is very enlightening. Thank you again for your time.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted