1911 Firearm Addicts banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
5,791 Posts
I'm not sure how LB stays with it make 100 guns a month, maybe that is enough and Ed Brown's 900 guns seems marginal at best

Reactions: simonp

·
Registered
534 Posts
I guess I’ll state my preferences and maybe that will narrows down where to go a bit.

Use: 5% range toy, 1% bullseye, 94% stroking and admiring at home. This will not be a carry or hard use gun. Have other stuff for that.

Other 1911s: currently own an STI lawman and really like it. If I needed a carry or hard use 1911, this would be it.

Features I want in order of importance:
1. Tight. I prefer a tighter fit over looser. If that affects reliability or comes with a break in, I’m ok with that.
2. Fit/finish. Fit and clean lines are important, and the reason Les Baer is not on this list. I would like a durable finish like nitrided or hard chrome. Something more durable than blue or cerakote.
3. Accuracy. I come from the precision rifle world and am OCD about accuracy.
4. Blended magwell, I like the looks
5. Ball cut
6. Ambi thumb safety

Does that narrow things down any?
All 4 are good. All 4 will fit your bill and cause pointless arguments about semi custom/production/ or custom that truly couldn't matter any less but internet.....

Personally if this is your first foray into higher end 1911s.....I would suggest picking up a colt special combat. Flat out phenomenal and ridiculous value. If I could get one in 50 gi I'd probably sell my GI. But you want tight fit....not certain that will satisfy that.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I guess I’ll state my preferences and maybe that will narrows down where to go a bit.

Use: 5% range toy, 1% bullseye, 94% stroking and admiring at home. This will not be a carry or hard use gun. Have other stuff for that.

Other 1911s: currently own an STI lawman and really like it. If I needed a carry or hard use 1911, this would be it.

1. Tight. I prefer a tighter fit over looser. If that affects reliability or comes with a break in, I’m ok with that.
2. Fit/finish. Fit and clean lines are important, and the reason Les Baer is not on this list. I would like a durable finish like nitrided or hard chrome. Something more durable than blue or cerakote.
5. Ball cut
6. Ambi thumb safety

Based on your requirements, I think Nighthawk is going to be the best fit for you

1. Tight. Check
2. Fit/finish. NH probably has the best finish options for those who want something other than blue, with Melonite as a standard finish or an upgrade to DLC available
3. Accuracy. check
4. Blended magwell, Wilson owns this category, but NH does well
5. Ball cut, they do them correctly, unlike Wilson
6. Ambi thumb safety, I think everyone has this covered

·
Registered
98 Posts
I now have an idea on which 1911 to get next. Thanks to threads like this one.

I did visit all the brand sites (plus the other ones not mentioned in the thread title). I find their varying definitions of "custom" interesting.

I personally prefer a 1911 that looks as close as possible to the design used by the military in WWII and the Vietnam War. If any part has to be changed by a custom gun maker, there needs to be a good reason (like functional improvement) or I would just treat it as unnecessary "uglification" of the gun.

Things like the beaver tail grip safety, the front strap checkering, night sights, etc. are welcome departure from the classic design. But when I can't see or feel a functional improvement with the customization, I look somewhere else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own Wilson and nighthawk , it’s kind of a draw to me . I believe that it also matters what your going to use the gun for, I use my Wilson as daily carry and keep my nighthawks in pristine condition ! There both fine weapons and like has been mentioned here before many times, get your wallet ready because the 1911 game is addicting and can get very expensive ha ha !

·
Registered
466 Posts

5. Ball cut
6. Ambi thumb safety

What's your budget and how quickly do you want it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
To me, boutique is just another buzzword for semi custom. Bespoke is a buzzword for custom.

With all 4 of those choices I would imagine it comes down to what builder offers options that fit your preferences more. They're all very very nice 1911s. You could also have a look into accuracy x 1911s. I have one on order thats nearly done and will be doing a full in depth review when it comes in. However it should be taken with a grain of salt because this is my first semi custom 1911.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,737 Posts
Wow. I apologize for offending anyone. Reason why I thought wilson and nighthawk as more production guns is because I’ve seen them in gun shops. My local dealer that runs out of his garage carries both.

I had never even heard of Guncrafter or Alchemy until I joined this forum.

I was not implying a difference in quality and was asking what the differences in build philosophy was.
Don’t worry too much about it, we just get a lot of people just trying to start crap using various methods.
You really can’t go wrong with any of those, as said find the features you want and just go with the company that offers what you want.
I have all of the above mentioned except an Alchemy but plan to add one soon.
May I add you are very lucky to have a guy running a shop out if his garage that carries Wilson and Nighthawk! I’ve purchased all of my higher end 1911s unseen or handled in person as there is no one around me that carries any of them as a stocking dealer! I don’t even see Dan Wesson’s locally!!

Oh and from your list of requirements, my suggestion from my personal experience and if I had to pick one gun to fondle at home....Nighthawk!
57C39C49-8B85-438A-989F-498CAC9C0E99.jpeg

·
Registered
534 Posts
Wow. I apologize for offending anyone. Reason why I thought wilson and nighthawk as more production guns is because I’ve seen them in gun shops. My local dealer that runs out of his garage carries both.

I had never even heard of Guncrafter or Alchemy until I joined this forum.

I was not implying a difference in quality and was asking what the differences in build philosophy was.
There ain't a thing to apologize for. The terminology is all hyperbole anyway. The amount of mental gymnastics on this board over what should be a production vs semi vs full custom is hillarious....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’ve owned most of the semi customs, they’re all good in their own unique ways and there’s plenty of information about each maker on this site. I recommend:

1. Buy one of the four you listed in the classifieds on this site. If you get a good deal you’ll be able to see if you like the gun (it’s a buyers market right now). Once you know what you want you should be able to sell it for close to what you paid.

OR

2. Order from one of the four you list d with your preferred options. If you’re not sure yet about what option you want, then I suggest going used since you’ll take a bigger financial hit if you decide to sell later.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,430 Posts
The nicest shooting pistol of those listed imo was a NHC GRP. But ya gotta put it in perspective. Was the one GRP I fired typical? Maybe it was the best of the best builder in their shop? You might get another GRP and it will feel different, or not.

I always wondered what the big deal was with Wilson ... Then I shot one. It was a fabulous gun, but not broken in like the NHC. I suspect after a few thousand rounds it would be right there with the NHC.

My advice is to hold as many as you can. They feel different . I’m a sucker for Ed Browns. Do a blind test on me and I always pick the Brown as my favorite feel. I’m kinda kicking myself for not owning one. But I have the next best thing... a friend with an Ed Brown.

I really liked the Alchemy in my hand it has a “right” feeling. It shot beautifully but again was brand new.

Guncrafter makes a beautiful gun too.

truth be told, you could slide a piece of paper between my favorite and least favorite, and the order of preference could change on any given day .

I think you’d be happy with any of them.

Things that made a difference to me after I went through my learning curve on 1911s are sights, trigger, thumb safety design and grip safety design. All your guns listed will be accurate and reliable . French borders , ball cuts etc are all nice touches you can add to make it yours.

Take your time. The journey in finding the one for you is just as fun( I think more fun) than the purchase.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I looked for six months at every option that came up for sale in the classifieds here. I finally chose a beautiful ACW Prime with chrome frame, ball cuts, and a naked slide. I feel so lucky that I got it for such a low price without the 7 month wait. Spec'd exactly as I would have done it other than the front sight. It really needs a gold bead. Other than that it is perfect. My precious. Lol.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Don’t worry too much about it, we just get a lot of people just trying to start crap using various methods.
You really can’t go wrong with any of those, as said find the features you want and just go with the company that offers what you want.
I have all of the above mentioned except an Alchemy but plan to add one soon.
May I add you are very lucky to have a guy running a shop out if his garage that carries Wilson and Nighthawk! I’ve purchased all of my higher end 1911s unseen or handled in person as there is no one around me that carries any of them as a stocking dealer! I don’t even see Dan Wesson’s locally!!

Oh and from your list of requirements, my suggestion from my personal experience and if I had to pick one gun to fondle at home....Nighthawk!
View attachment 627291
Fellow Ohioan

That is a fantastic firearm. Could you share the details on that?

Thank you. If a PM is more appropriate that would be great too.

Thanks

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,737 Posts
Fellow Ohioan

That is a fantastic firearm. Could you share the details on that?

Thank you. If a PM is more appropriate that would be great too.

Thanks
Nighthawk Kestrel 9mm commander size
Awesome firearm and just a joy to shoot, fit and finish is amazing

41 - 60 of 99 Posts