1911 Firearm Addicts banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I also try to avoid contentious debates on this forum, but I have to take issue with the claim that food is better in AL than in NYC. Have you ever had pizza in AL?
NYC pizza is amazing, almost as good as what he have here in New Haven but we are holding strong at #1!

It is hard for me personally to find good pizza, bread or bagels outside the tri state area. Don’t know if that’s just because it’s what I grew up on but they say it is also very contingent on the water.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Man I deal with enough emotions from the women I work with, I’m not looking to deal with it on here. I wasn’t trying to offend anyone. Sounded to me like a troll post and I stated “if” that was his intent then he could go pound sand. I then followed up with a valuable link, if the OP was truly looking for information. Not sure what else to tell you fellas, it is what it is. Post stupid sht, get stupid responses
If you get this salty over a genuine question that a lot of people new to the scene would ask, maybe the women you work with, ain't the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Man I deal with enough emotions from the women I work with, I’m not looking to deal with it on here. I wasn’t trying to offend anyone. Sounded to me like a troll post and I stated “if” that was his intent then he could go pound sand. I then followed up with a valuable link, if the OP was truly looking for information. Not sure what else to tell you fellas, it is what it is. Post stupid sht, get stupid responses
All good. That link was indeed very valuable and I read all of it. Thank you for that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lennyo3034:
No need to apologize. Someone was being an a**hole. It was rude and uncalled for.

Remember, everyone is an expert on the Internet. As many have said, do your research as far as what you are looking for in a custom or semi custom gun. You will not regret whatever you decide to go with. All good stuff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lennyo3034:
NO need to apologize. Someone was being an a**hole. Actually, a few were being a**holes.

As many have said, do the research in terms of what you are looking for in a custom or semi-custom pistol. All are great products-as are others not mentioned here. Keep in mind everyone is an expert on the Internet…

As for the “thin skinned” people: I’m not one. The thin-skinned guy will be the one that bans me for speaking truth.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I also try to avoid contentious debates on this forum, but I have to take issue with the claim that food is better in AL than in NYC. Have you ever had pizza in AL?
Boy, you've gone and done it now.
How are the fried pork chops, macaroni and cheese, turnip greens and cornbread in NYC? Plus I live close to the gulf coast so there's fresh shrimp, oysters, crab claws, red snapper, grouper, etc. And if you look around, you can find pizza places run by folks who also fled the world of cold weather and high taxes. Please don't take this seriously. It's all in fun.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Boy, you've gone and done it now. . . . And if you look around, you can find pizza places run by folks who also fled the world of cold weather and high taxes. Please don't take this seriously. It's all in fun.
I take my pizza as seriously as my firearm brand loyalty, that is, not much.

High taxes is the least thing wrong with those places. That's why after growing up in NYC and working 10 years in SoCal, I live in Iowa and happily endure the bad pizza and jibes about being a Yankees fan. And no, I am not in the witness protection program just because I am from NYC and my name ends in a vowel.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I’m thinking of picking up a “nice” 1911 and trying to decide which route I want to go. It seems wilson and nighthawk are more production where the alchemy and guncrafter are full on custom builds.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of production vs custom?

Im not too concerned about lead time and the prices seem to be close.
Let the collectors worry about the marketing Buzzwords .

Concentrate on 100% reliability with the loads you intend to shoot one malfunction in a gun costing 5k is too many IMO
Accuracy guarantee , You want a target with the load you want to shoot printing a ragged little hole at least 25yrds .

Trigger , Dont settle for any creep in the trigger and have it set at the exact weight that works for you .
Sights , Gold beads look cool but may not give the sharpest picture . get what works for you .
Hold , Try different checkering you may be a brick layer and not even be able to feel comfort carry or someone who moves a mouse all day and not want aggressive checkering . They all cut the guns up high but ACW really seems to give you better mechanical advantage over the gun IMO
Finally choose a finish thats functional but makes you proud when you look at it above all dont settle and enjoy the build process.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Don’t worry too much about it, we just get a lot of people just trying to start crap using various methods.
You really can’t go wrong with any of those, as said find the features you want and just go with the company that offers what you want.
I have all of the above mentioned except an Alchemy but plan to add one soon.
May I add you are very lucky to have a guy running a shop out if his garage that carries Wilson and Nighthawk! I’ve purchased all of my higher end 1911s unseen or handled in person as there is no one around me that carries any of them as a stocking dealer! I don’t even see Dan Wesson’s locally!!

Oh and from your list of requirements, my suggestion from my personal experience and if I had to pick one gun to fondle at home....Nighthawk!
View attachment 627291
That Kestrel is a favorite of mine. I didn't act on a deal on a 45 ACP Kestrel (new) in Reno a year or so ago and I am now kicking myself daily because of it... Even my Bride razzes me about not buying the damn thing.

I would really like to have that Kestrel in 10mm but that's for another thread!

I admit I'm new and a little tardy to ACW 1911s. I do like Rob's work and the Classic Carry fits the bill for what I'm interested in. I've never seen or fondled one so that's a bit of an issue for me...

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the list. As it was described by a Brother Addict what you're looking for is fulfilling that "X" factor...

·
Registered
752 Posts
But pizza in NY isn’t that great. Actual pizza in Italy is great pizza. You can get good pizza almost anywhere. The crust on the pizza in Italy has the perfect consistency and they don’t over due the toppings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
All this talk about good pizza has me wondering what I'm missing in Phoenix, but being a huge Mexican food junkie and kinda "ehh" on Italian food makes me feel like I'm in an ok spot.
Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix. It's world class. You're welcome. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just a few thoughts from an addict who has been playing with 1911's for nearly 40 years:

Custom vs. semi-custom: People have filled the interwebz with tons of thoughts on this. I have owned a lot of both, and I think it boils down to this. Want a gun built exactly to your specs (assuming the custom smith agrees) with the parts you love, get a true custom built. Want a gun that actually has a company that will stand behind their work and try to fix problems you might run into? Buy a semi-custom. And like everything in life, there are exceptions to my point. But by and large, my experience is that it is a whole lot easier to get ahold of a human being that will actually work with you to fix a problem at Wilson, Nighthawk, Alchemy, etc. than it is the bespoke folks who are touted widely. A true custom can be magic, or it can be a $hitshow trying to get a one-man shop to actually talk to you about the problems you are facing. You are trading originality for dependability. Your one-man wonder smith can flake out and spend your thousands on hookers and blow, while your "semi-custom" outfits are fairly stable and employ enough people that it behooves them to make it right with you.

Wilson vs. Nighthawk vs. Guncrafter, ad infinitum. If your Google-fu is strong and you research these companies online, every one of them has f*d the dog somewhere. Wilson can't get ball cuts right, Nighthawks don't like aftermarket magazines and stole all of their ideas from Wilson, etc. And don't get me started on Baer. What it really boils down to is, what do you like? Wilson offers some cool features, but doesn't offer others. Wilson= checkering, yes. Hard chrome, no. Want a Brown beavertail on your Wilson? Not gonna happen. Want one on your Nighthawk? Ask nicely. But they are all working in a narrow field. Better than Colt, Springfield, SIG, etc. but still fairly limited.

And my last thought as I take my ol' a$$ to bed is this. You very well might get yourself all fired up about XYZ maker, model, etc. and might get a turd. It might not cycle, have a thumb safety that takes you and 2 close friends to operate, or your "guarantee of 1" at 147 yards" might not actually allow you to hit a washing machine at 3 feet. It happens occasionally, and you soldier on. This forum is full of such stories, and if you are a 1911 addict it will happen to you. The wonder weapon you spent years saving for might turn out to be a POS.

But then...you might truly get magic. I have a few customs that are so ridiculously accurate and dependable that I have turned down truly stupid money offers. I have a couple of "semi-customs" that are so well-made that I wouldn't trade them for a Burton/Rogers/Chambers. That happens too...occasionally.

Welcome to the addiction. The 1911 is a bitch, and she bestows her fickle graces when and if she pleases. Enjoy the ride! :)

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Just a few thoughts from an addict who has been playing with 1911's for nearly 40 years:

Custom vs. semi-custom: People have filled the interwebz with tons of thoughts on this. I have owned a lot of both, and I think it boils down to this. Want a gun built exactly to your specs (assuming the custom smith agrees) with the parts you love, get a true custom built. Want a gun that actually has a company that will stand behind their work and try to fix problems you might run into? Buy a semi-custom. And like everything in life, there are exceptions to my point. But by and large, my experience is that it is a whole lot easier to get ahold of a human being that will actually work with you to fix a problem at Wilson, Nighthawk, Alchemy, etc. than it is the bespoke folks who are touted widely. A true custom can be magic, or it can be a $hitshow trying to get a one-man shop to actually talk to you about the problems you are facing. You are trading originality for dependability. Your one-man wonder smith can flake out and spend your thousands on hookers and blow, while your "semi-custom" outfits are fairly stable and employ enough people that it behooves them to make it right with you.

Wilson vs. Nighthawk vs. Guncrafter, ad infinitum. If your Google-fu is strong and you research these companies online, every one of them has f*d the dog somewhere. Wilson can't get ball cuts right, Nighthawks don't like aftermarket magazines and stole all of their ideas from Wilson, etc. And don't get me started on Baer. What it really boils down to is, what do you like? Wilson offers some cool features, but doesn't offer others. Wilson= checkering, yes. Hard chrome, no. Want a Brown beavertail on your Wilson? Not gonna happen. Want one on your Nighthawk? Ask nicely. But they are all working in a narrow field. Better than Colt, Springfield, SIG, etc. but still fairly limited.

And my last thought as I take my ol' a$$ to bed is this. You very well might get yourself all fired up about XYZ maker, model, etc. and might get a turd. It might not cycle, have a thumb safety that takes you and 2 close friends to operate, or your "guarantee of 1" at 147 yards" might not actually allow you to hit a washing machine at 3 feet. It happens occasionally, and you soldier on. This forum is full of such stories, and if you are a 1911 addict it will happen to you. The wonder weapon you spent years saving for might turn out to be a POS.

But then...you might truly get magic. I have a few customs that are so ridiculously accurate and dependable that I have turned down truly stupid money offers. I have a couple of "semi-customs" that are so well-made that I wouldn't trade them for a Burton/Rogers/Chambers. That happens too...occasionally.

Welcome to the addiction. The 1911 is a bitch, and she bestows her fickle graces when and if she pleases. Enjoy the ride! :)
Wow, well said and I’m in complete agreement!

81 - 99 of 99 Posts