1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been digging through Wilsons' sight and can't find a flat-wire kit for Commander pistols (4.25 & bushing). The only flat-wire with a plug is full-size length. No shorter plugs shown.

So it seems like Wilson isn't interested in selling flat-wire for Commander guns. Anyone know different?

I can call them tomorrow, but was hoping that one of you fine folks have already worked this out.

Oh yeah, I'm dealing with a 9mm Commander, but I don't think the caliber matters as they don't show any Commander lengths at all.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nighthawk makes the everlast flat wire system for a commander. In 45 and 9mm I believe. The difference between the 2 would be the recoil spring weight that’s different. I don’t believe Wilson offers a flatwire kit for commanders.
Thanks sir. I looked at that, but have concerns about the recoil spring guide. It doesn't seem to have the cutout that Wilson puts on the back of Compact recoil spring guides, and I don't know if that extra cutout is necessary.

I found that this is the correct flat-wire spring on a different forum (per a Wilson rep):

Commander flat-spring

But, I don't know if I need an FLGR or if just buying a new short .250 diameter recoil spring guide will work.

I emailed Wilson to see what they say and will report back in case anyone else is looking this up later. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've put them in a Combat Commander .45 (20lb ISMI flat wire) and a Rem Recon Commander 9mm (18lb ISMI flat wire). Haven't test fired yet. I've never been a fan of the FLGR (Remington came with FLGR) and I want to give the flat wire a shot in the shorter guns. I've replaced all my 5" guns with Wilson standard length guide rods and flat wire recoil springs. They all run great and I've got thousands on a couple of the 5" guns.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've put them in a Combat Commander .45 (20lb ISMI flat wire) and a Rem Recon Commander 9mm (18lb ISMI flat wire). Haven't test fired yet. I've never been a fan of the FLGR (Remington came with FLGR) and I want to give the flat wire a shot in the shorter guns. I've replaced all my 5" guns with Wilson standard length guide rods and flat wire recoil springs. They all run great and I've got thousands on a couple of the 5" guns.
Any issues with "strange sounds" due to the flat wires when working the action?

It wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker if the flats sound strange as long as they work.

Interested to hear if you experience any difference in the way the pistol feels when firing.

18 lbs. seems like a really heavy spring for a 9mm Commander. My Wilson Commander has a 12 lbs. recoil spring. Do you need a different spring weight when using flat wire?

Sorry for all the questions. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
The guns do sound different/louder with the flat wire kits. My 5" guns sound different also- you hit the nail on the head with the different sound. I'm thinking the flat wire spring is twisting/bulging a bit during compression and rubbing the inside of the dust cover with the square edge of the spring vs the round surface of a standard spring?

I run mostly duty pressure ammo (some +P) so I run all my guns with one step heavier recoil spring. Per Wolff Gunsprings, 9mm and .38 Super Colt Commanders have 16lb recoil springs standard. I went ahead and grabbed the 18lb for Commander to see if it will run the gun correctly. My Remington Recon Commander came with a flat wire spring but I don't know what its rating is- I'm going to start with that one then try the 18lb.

FWIW I'm running the Wilson 15lb (+P) flat wire kit in my 5" 9mm and the recoil impulse feels like a .22!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flat wire: An "answer" looking for a problem.
Modern technology can often lead to longer service life and improved reliability in many different types of mechanical devices. IMO these types of improvements are good.

But I haven't tried a flat wire yet. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have read that flat wire springs compress at a more consistent rate- I do feel a difference. IMO traditional round wire springs seem to load up a bit more as the slide reaches its rearmost position. The flat wire feel, at least to me, like the spring compresses at more of the same resistance for the entire travel of the slide.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My Springfield RO Champion came with flat wire. It works great. Fires 115 grain @ 1025 all the way up to NATO 124 gr. Zero problems.

I tossed the dual spring in my LW Officers ACP and installed a Wilsons flat wire. It too shoots anything, but it always did.

I tried them in my Bullseye guns. It uses a 13 lb standard spring. The 13 lb flat wire from wolf which is MUCH shorter than a stock spring. I had a couple failure to battery in my hard fit gold cup, so I went to the 15 lb flat wire and its chugging along with out a hiccup. Shooting as low as a 200 grain @ 700 fps.
I put the full length guide rod in the Gold cup. I need to field strip it with out turning the bushing when its in battery. So just lock slide back, insert paper clip, release the slide and disassemble. It works for me. The other 2 have GI length guide rods made for the flat wire. I was not a believer at first, but after a couple months, I do like them.

YES the full length guide rod makes a distinct sound when racking by hand.

Just my opinion, the flat wire stacks up better than conventional with out a guide rod.

David

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Springfield RO Champion came with flat wire. It works great. Fires 115 grain @ 1025 all the way up to NATO 124 gr. Zero problems.

I tossed the dual spring in my LW Officers ACP and installed a Wilsons flat wire. It too shoots anything, but it always did.

I tried them in my Bullseye guns. It uses a 13 lb standard spring. The 23 lb flat wire from wolf which is MUCH shorter than a stock spring. I had a couple failure to battery in my hard fit gold cup, so I went to the 15 lb flat wire and its chugging along with out a hiccup. Shooting as low as a 200 grain @ 700 fps.
I put the full length guide rod in the Gold cup. I need to field strip it with out turning the bushing when its in battery. So just lock slide back, insert paper clip, release the slide and disassemble. It works for me. The other 2 have GI length guide rods made for the flat wire. I was not a believer at first, but after a couple months, I do like them.

YES the full length guide rod makes a distinct sound when racking by hand.

Just my opinion, the flat wire stacks up better than conventional with out a guide rod.

David
As to your mentioned pistols, are they all FLGR or are you running any with a standard-length .250 diameter guide rod (with flat-wire)?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.