Dan Wesson Wilson vs Ed brown vs Guncrafter

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by James Corbin, Jan 14, 2019.

1. James Corbin

James Corbin Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2017
    I’m highly considering ordering from one of the 3 to get my first custom ordered to my spec 1911

Which of the 3 would you choose and why?

A lot asking my specs I’m wanting to have one built to and use.

It will mainly be used at the range and possibly carry from time to time as well as a show piece per say (that gets used)

I’m looking towards 9mm or 38 super in a commander length pistol. (I have lots of 45s and and just want something different).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    That depends, what are your specs? What are your goals?

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    What about Nighthawk, one smith, one gun ;)

I think they each have their own specialty. What size is your dream gun, full size, commander, compact? Do you want a traditional bushing 1911 or a bull barrel, etc

Many think Ed Brown does stainless steel the best and maybe even bobtail too with their Kobra line.

Wilson is hard to beat in a lot of ways, many, many configurations, sizes and styles are available and probably more finishes than any other maker even blue'd options.

Nighthawk, IMHO, is probably the best quality with the tightest tolerances but we are really splitting hairs with that statement.

My GI, OMG, it's the most accurate gun I own and tight !

I wouldn't start with a maker but with what style gun you are looking for, features and let that direct you to the maker.

4. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Five years back I would have said Wilson. Because you just have to. Bill Wilson was one of the originals and he made an art of producing quality 1911s for real shooters. Today, however, I am concerned with the number of reports they have of great customer service. How do you get a stellar customer service reputation without having a bunch of guns go back?

So .. Guncrafter. Everything a Wilson is (except the name and tradition), without the risk.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a few Wilson’s and love them. Just not sure I’d buy another new one right now.

Have you considered a Nighthawk? Great guns with lots of Wilson heritage as well.

xTeleDude, john_anch_ak and Stogies like this.
  5. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    GI would be my first choice of those three. But me personally I would prefer a Nighthawk over any of them.

xTeleDude, Stogies and stlgecko like this.
  6. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    doesn't matter, you said it would be your "first" so the other 2 would be a must have.

Babboonbobo likes this.
  7. fc2464

fc2464 It's normal to talk to your gun, right?

Jul 24, 2016
    Over the years, I've owned Kimber, Springfield, Colt, Les Baer, Nighthawk, and Wilson 1911s and I've come to the conclusion that I really prefer the Wilson's for some reason. The build quality is excellent and the service after the sale is, without a doubt, the best in the business. That being said though, if you go with any one of the "big 3" (all made in Berryville, AR), either Wilson, Nighthawk, or Guncrafter, I don't think you can go wrong honestly.

I never have and never will buy an Ed Brown because of the way he supposedly treated that YouTube guy that has the Weapons Education channel.

See this video:

Good luck and enjoy your new premium 1911!

FC

Shocker2000 likes this.
  8. James Corbin

James Corbin Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Updated the post. I figured that may be easier lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    9mm Nighthawk Bob Marvel imo a commander that cant be beat by any other semi custom commander.

Shocker2000, WHEELS and Stogies like this.
  10. azguy1911

Oct 22, 2015
    Here's my NH Commander in 9mm, a simply beautiful weapon and deadly accurate

8.jpg 9.jpg

Badabing11, gps man, RN47 and 4 others like this.
  11. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    Guncrafter is the safest bet. They produce the smallest number annually and each passes inspection by Alex the owner. Nighthawk is amazing too, but quality control sometimes varies. I have started buying my hawks preowned when I find a great deal, that way any extra cost to correct anything or update parts is not big deal. Plus, if I sell them I don’t lose my azz (except for the Agent 2 I sold last night...) I shoot often, and I like shooting Nighthawk pistols more than anything else. As for WC, I’d rather have a Dan Wesson.

WHEELS, RN47 and WWB like this.
  12. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    Totally agree, I got 2 to prove it. ;)

A29EC62F-0549-4E33-89FF-719226A934C4.jpeg

dash, RN47, Guy Montag and 1 other person like this.
  13. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    If you truly want a custom 1911 -- I would not consider one of the semi-custom shops but find a top gunsmith to build you what you want.

FredZ likes this.
  14. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    A very special gun............

15. Chicken Dinner Arms

Chicken Dinner Arms Well-Known Member Sponsor

Nov 7, 2011
    Another vote for NHC here, my wife has a couple of Wilson’s and she’s slowly swapping them out for Nighthawks. I think at this level it just comes down to personal preference.

Badabing11 and Stogies like this.
  16. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I would put my Guncrafter Twin commanders up to any semi custom. imo
    [​IMG]

17. azguy1911

Oct 22, 2015
    WC has a professional line with full size grip and 4" bull barrels, I like this set up a lot, here's a two-tone in 38 super - to get your mind churning of the possibilities.

pix626765519.jpg pix707977003.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Sneaky One likes this.
  18. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I'm curious to know why. I'm not challenging her decision. I'm just curious because I was thinking of getting a Wilson.

19. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Wilson would be my choice....they have always gone the extra steps for me. I have a pair of Wilsons ...and they are both in the top 5 guns I own...even at 16 yrs old for one & 13 for the other.

I've had Browns ...and the fit and finish on their stainless was not nearly as good as my Wilson.

Friends have guncrafters, and I'm not that impressed with fit and finish.

But all three mfg's are a significant cut above most others in my opinion.

20. cheller73

cheller73 Member

Mar 22, 2018
    I have/had Wilson, Ed Brown, Springfield custom shop, Rock River Arms, Les Baer, Nighthawk. Recently got a Guncrafter, and now have two. I like them the best.

stlgecko likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted