1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m highly considering ordering from one of the 3 to get my first custom ordered to my spec 1911

Which of the 3 would you choose and why?

A lot asking my specs I’m wanting to have one built to and use.

It will mainly be used at the range and possibly carry from time to time as well as a show piece per say (that gets used)

I’m looking towards 9mm or 38 super in a commander length pistol. (I have lots of 45s and and just want something different).

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
That depends, what are your specs? What are your goals?

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,256 Posts
What about Nighthawk, one smith, one gun ;)

I think they each have their own specialty. What size is your dream gun, full size, commander, compact? Do you want a traditional bushing 1911 or a bull barrel, etc

Many think Ed Brown does stainless steel the best and maybe even bobtail too with their Kobra line.

Wilson is hard to beat in a lot of ways, many, many configurations, sizes and styles are available and probably more finishes than any other maker even blue'd options.

Nighthawk, IMHO, is probably the best quality with the tightest tolerances but we are really splitting hairs with that statement.

My GI, OMG, it's the most accurate gun I own and tight !

I wouldn't start with a maker but with what style gun you are looking for, features and let that direct you to the maker.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Five years back I would have said Wilson. Because you just have to. Bill Wilson was one of the originals and he made an art of producing quality 1911s for real shooters. Today, however, I am concerned with the number of reports they have of great customer service. How do you get a stellar customer service reputation without having a bunch of guns go back?

So .. Guncrafter. Everything a Wilson is (except the name and tradition), without the risk.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a few Wilson’s and love them. Just not sure I’d buy another new one right now.

Have you considered a Nighthawk? Great guns with lots of Wilson heritage as well.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
doesn't matter, you said it would be your "first" so the other 2 would be a must have.

Reactions: Babboonbobo

·
It's normal to talk to your gun, right?
35 Posts
Over the years, I've owned Kimber, Springfield, Colt, Les Baer, Nighthawk, and Wilson 1911s and I've come to the conclusion that I really prefer the Wilson's for some reason. The build quality is excellent and the service after the sale is, without a doubt, the best in the business. That being said though, if you go with any one of the "big 3" (all made in Berryville, AR), either Wilson, Nighthawk, or Guncrafter, I don't think you can go wrong honestly.

I never have and never will buy an Ed Brown because of the way he supposedly treated that YouTube guy that has the Weapons Education channel.

See this video:

Good luck and enjoy your new premium 1911!

FC

·
6,256 Posts
Here's my NH Commander in 9mm, a simply beautiful weapon and deadly accurate

8.jpg
9.jpg

·
I’m just here for the 1911’s
3,042 Posts
Guncrafter is the safest bet. They produce the smallest number annually and each passes inspection by Alex the owner. Nighthawk is amazing too, but quality control sometimes varies. I have started buying my hawks preowned when I find a great deal, that way any extra cost to correct anything or update parts is not big deal. Plus, if I sell them I don’t lose my azz (except for the Agent 2 I sold last night...) I shoot often, and I like shooting Nighthawk pistols more than anything else. As for WC, I’d rather have a Dan Wesson.

955 Posts
Another vote for NHC here, my wife has a couple of Wilson’s and she’s slowly swapping them out for Nighthawks. I think at this level it just comes down to personal preference.

·
6,256 Posts
WC has a professional line with full size grip and 4" bull barrels, I like this set up a lot, here's a two-tone in 38 super - to get your mind churning of the possibilities.

pix626765519.jpg
pix707977003.jpg

Reactions: Sneaky One

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
my wife has a couple of Wilson’s and she’s slowly swapping them out for Nighthawks.
I'm curious to know why. I'm not challenging her decision. I'm just curious because I was thinking of getting a Wilson.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Wilson would be my choice....they have always gone the extra steps for me. I have a pair of Wilsons ...and they are both in the top 5 guns I own...even at 16 yrs old for one & 13 for the other.

I've had Browns ...and the fit and finish on their stainless was not nearly as good as my Wilson.

Friends have guncrafters, and I'm not that impressed with fit and finish.

But all three mfg's are a significant cut above most others in my opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have/had Wilson, Ed Brown, Springfield custom shop, Rock River Arms, Les Baer, Nighthawk. Recently got a Guncrafter, and now have two. I like them the best.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts