1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Deo Volente
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was speaking to a friend whose specialty is firearm finishing the old school way the other day...

He said that Winchester was bringing him down to Shot Show 2018 for some discussion on a contract for finishing. He didn't specify what kind of finishing, but his specialty is case color hardening and other old school finishes.

The conversation hinted that he may be doing some work on deluxe model rifles manufactured by Miroku for Winchester. This is too good to be true if you like old Winchester rifles. Which models I don't know, and neither did he, but the models may include 1873, 1885, 1886 High Wall/Low Wall, 1892 and 1894. These would probably be very limited.

I warned him about the Sears & Roebuck model of doing business. Sears would contract with someone for products such as Craftsman tools. Sears would monopolize their business and then drive progressively harder bargains. Sometimes they would even buy out the company after weakening them enough.

I am very happy for this man as it is a family operation. I am excited to see some really nice deluxe old style firearms coming to market like what they used to produce one hundred years ago.

I am sad, because he will probably not be doing private firearms anymore. At least I have some pistols in the pipeline!

·
Deo Volente
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a new program they are introducing, or an expansion on the current case colored '73 & '86 rifles? Thanks for the heads up!
I do not know. My friend already does contract work for some Italian gun makers and some here in the USA.

If he were to do work for Winchester/Miroku, it would be on a limited basis. He has been looking around for some competent employees without much luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts