Winchester Model 70?

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Samcro, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Samcro

Samcro US Army Retired 1911 Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2011
    Hello Folks,

I just got a .243 in the Winchester Model 70 , tapered Barrel , blue, Short action Bolt , with a Monty Carlo stock . was wondering what I can do to it as for Custom work to increase the looks & performance. I have a Nice Nikon Monarch 2.5 X 10 X 42 M BDC to put on it .However i have yet to do so due to Lasik 3 days ago . 2 Piece weaver rail and Mounts . can post photos if needed .

Sam

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    The gun should be short action in .243 or it has been tampered with. And yes post pics sam.

3. Samcro

Nov 19, 2011
    Ok Short action , is that standard for the Win 70 ? this a mint gun never been touched .. the feller said long but it has a short throw on the bolt to me .

4. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    The action (short or long) has to do with the length of the cartridge rather than the model of the firearm. .243 is a short action cartridge. A 30-06 would be a long action.

I've got a Winchester Model 70 in 7mm WSM and it has been a great gun.

5. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    That's the reason I said something was wrong. Sounds like a new gun Or like new. I love rifles as much as any gun.

6. Samcro

Nov 19, 2011
  7. Samcro

Nov 19, 2011
  8. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    I need pics of the hot bodies face holding it more than pics of the gun Sam. :rofl2: Not a tapered barrel either. Most rifles look like that unless they have a bull barrel of some kind. In my opionion I would leave as is and shoot and enjoy it. Buy several brands of ammo and see which it likes best. Should be a great shooter as is. I would love to own that gun and I have a couple of rifles.
    [​IMG]

9. Samcro

Nov 19, 2011
    LOL Limb, That is my 14 yr old ...Yep she Hunts Fishes and can clean any Game she takes .

View attachment 1292

View attachment 1293

10. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    Whoops sorry about that. I'm not a perve. I like oilder women. Still a great gun and you need to shoot it and let us know how it shoots.

11. Samcro

Nov 19, 2011
    LOL she Loves Shooten, hunten , and fishen , Yet is quite a Lil Lady too.
    I will be shooten soon need to mount the scope and sight in the reg sights too as the mounts are see through .

12. Samcro

Nov 19, 2011
  13. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    Get rid of the shoot thru mounts!!!!! I hate them things. Raises your line of sight to high and makes the gun kick more and harder to aquier the target. They don't feel natural.

14. Samcro

Nov 19, 2011
    but i like the iron sites their deadly

15. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Looks kind of like a long action to me. Open the magazine door on the bottom and see if there is a metal spacer or block at the rear of the magazine box, at the trigger end of the magazine. Winchester built rifles for short action calibers on long actions, seems like they stopped doing it maybe in the 1980's.

Also, the smooth bolt handle is common on pre 64 models, If your serial number is just numerals, with no "G" prefix, it could be either a pre 64 or a transition model built just at that time frame. Plus it has the mauser type claw on the bolt.

Good snag. Looks like it's in pretty good shape.

16. Samcro

Nov 19, 2011
    Numbers only on SN, and No Block just top plate where bullets set . I am thinking pre 64 it has not been shot much , i think it was a safe queen the Older feller that had it just did not shoot any more and was selling some of his guns .

17. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
  18. Samcro

Nov 19, 2011
  19. Samcro

Nov 19, 2011
    I finally can see and have the mounts done and the iron sights set and good now for the scope and trigger set up . . I hope to shoot soon.

20. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    They are pretty reliable and simple triggers. You can get them adjusted with or without take up. Down to as low as 1.5 to 2 lbs, though about 2 1/2 to 3 is a good place to be.

If you are doing it yourself, do the research, do the safety checks. If you feel it isn't to your liking or can't get it right, put the rifle away for a couple of weeks and begin again; it will generally fall into place for you then.

Don't forget the range report. :nod:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted