1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Deo Volente
7,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CDNN has been selling these Winchester/Navy Arms in the "white" 1892 44 magnum rifles and I was really LUSTING after one of these rifles! I could have Tyler Gun Works case color and blue with nitre screws and pins for about $600-700. The rifles have been selling for $1300-1375 range.

What is not to like in a lever action 44mag with great pistol grip checkered wood, 20" octagon barrel, set up for a tang site?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/791966453

This is what the Navy Arms rifle looks like as a finished rifle...

The devil is in the details! Although I love this rifle and it is what I have been looking for except for not having a 24" barrel. Something kept nagging at me. I ferreted out the twist rate on the barrel and it is 1:16" which apparently is very fast(?).

Most all the Winchester 92's these days in 44 mag have a 1:26" twist rate which seems to work just fine with the article I read http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByCaliber/Cast in the .44 Magnum Rifle.pdf

Nothing is easy these days!

·
Registered
367 Posts
The only place I find reference to 1:16 is Cheaper Than Dirt. Winchester shows as 26.

If I were betting man, I would bet the 16 on Cheaper Than Dirt is not correct.

·
Deo Volente
7,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only place I find reference to 1:16 is Cheaper Than Dirt. Winchester shows as 26.

If I were betting man, I would bet the 16 on Cheaper Than Dirt is not correct.
A message from Navy Arms says the twist rate is 1:26".

·
Deo Volente
7,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There you go. It would seem odd for Navy Arms to change the specs like that.
That is what got my wondering as Winchester/Miroku manufactures these rifles and has for a while.
Going through the Winchester model 1892's past and present all except one have had 1:26" twist rate. There were two websites that showed the Navy Arms rifle at 1:16".
Don't you just love critical typos!
Just have to wait another five days to see if I can afford one of these beauties! Of course I will have to sell my 1892 Winchester .44 mag short rifle that is NIB for $800.
Ce'st la vie!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts