Winchester/Navy Arms 1892 44Mag Perfect (?)

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Colorado Sonny, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    CDNN has been selling these Winchester/Navy Arms in the "white" 1892 44 magnum rifles and I was really LUSTING after one of these rifles! I could have Tyler Gun Works case color and blue with nitre screws and pins for about $600-700. The rifles have been selling for $1300-1375 range.

What is not to like in a lever action 44mag with great pistol grip checkered wood, 20" octagon barrel, set up for a tang site?
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/791966453

This is what the Navy Arms rifle looks like as a finished rifle...
    [​IMG]

The devil is in the details! Although I love this rifle and it is what I have been looking for except for not having a 24" barrel. Something kept nagging at me. I ferreted out the twist rate on the barrel and it is 1:16" which apparently is very fast(?).

Most all the Winchester 92's these days in 44 mag have a 1:26" twist rate which seems to work just fine with the article I read http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByCaliber/Cast in the .44 Magnum Rifle.pdf

Nothing is easy these days!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  2. 45caldude

45caldude Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2015
    Nice looking 92 in the white. I thought all Winchesters from 16-24 were 26" twist.

wcanterbury likes this.

3. Red-5

Red-5 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2015
    The only place I find reference to 1:16 is Cheaper Than Dirt. Winchester shows as 26.

If I were betting man, I would bet the 16 on Cheaper Than Dirt is not correct.

wcanterbury likes this.
  4. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    A message from Navy Arms says the twist rate is 1:26".

5. Red-5

Red-5 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2015
    There you go. It would seem odd for Navy Arms to change the specs like that.

wcanterbury likes this.
  6. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    That is what got my wondering as Winchester/Miroku manufactures these rifles and has for a while.
    Going through the Winchester model 1892's past and present all except one have had 1:26" twist rate. There were two websites that showed the Navy Arms rifle at 1:16".
    Don't you just love critical typos!
    Just have to wait another five days to see if I can afford one of these beauties! Of course I will have to sell my 1892 Winchester .44 mag short rifle that is NIB for $800.
    Ce'st la vie!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted