1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,009 Posts
Stock pic shows large primer. But, I wouldn’t rely on that.
Not sure I’ve seen Winchester brass with the small primer. But, I rarely, if ever, pay attention to head stamps when picking up range brass or buying once fired for pistols. For my 5.56 and .308, sometimes but not always.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had considered this ammo myself, and like you wanted to know if it was large or small primer. I contacted Wideners who had a good price on it. Their reply was to contact Winchester. So no help here.

·
Asker of the Obvious
259 Posts
I bought a case of Win Service Grade a few weeks ago, and it has large primers.

Also, I just sorted some brass to get ready for reloading, and the Remington, Federal, and Winchester were all large. Blazer was the only small.

According to this article (link embedded), "Some Winchester, Federal, and CCI factory loads have appeared with Small Pistol primers," so I guess you have to check everything these days.

·
1911 Fiend
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I would not mind the small primer so much if I bought a case and it shot well. I would have to make sure I picked up and saved that brass separate from from all my other large primer. I think all the mfrs will be small primer in another 5 yrs. Would rather have large for some reason.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would switch to all SP 45 if I didn't have so many LP brass (thousands). Since I don't run SP 45 it's a major annoyance when I run across one while running the progressive. I sort carefully now but have a couple K that I ran threw the tumbler w/out sorting so have to sort them while I'm reloading. Pain in the butt. I quit picking up range brass. Someday I may just order up a couple K SP brass and dump all the LP, it would make switching calibers quicker for the most part as I mostly shoot 45 and 9mm.

·
1911 Fiend
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me too on the 1000's of LP 45. I only pick up my brass anymore after i crunched down on a berdan primed 45 and bent my decapping stem into a U.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts