Witch one DW,LB,EB

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Solheim75, Dec 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Solheim75

Solheim75 New Member

Aug 20, 2018
    Im sure I’ll get a lot of opinion for this post but I’m looking for a commander going with one of the three in a good preowned Dan Wesson Les Bear or Ed Brown I know prices are all over the place but looking to stay under the $1800 mark thanks a head of time for your input

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  2. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Of the three, this would be my choice...
    I paid under $1600 on Gunbroker for it
    IMG_0004 copy 2.JPG

3. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I gave 1500 for my UTC Baer, I like it better than any of the Wessons I've had. There is nothing wrong with a DW. I rather have a DW in 9mm over a Baer, but in 45 Baer all the way.

thumbnail[1] (19).jpg

4. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    Commander size? DW, the EB if you can swing it. Choices are based on price low -> high

5. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    No wrong choice. I’m not a fan of the Baer. Sure, they are a reliable and accurate gun built for a gazillion rounds. On a good year, I only put less than 5,000 through any one gun (shotguns excluded). I don’t need a gazillion. I’d lean toward the equally reliable and accurate but better looking DW or EB.

6. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I missed the commander size, I change my vote to DW then.

63F28CE1-30D4-416E-9508-E358DE6C02B0[1].jpeg

1L26, Babboonbobo, FWoo45 and 3 others like this.
  7. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
  8. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    Out of those three options I would say Ed Brown and specifically the Kobra Carry. With a little patience you can usually score one on Gunbroker or Armslist for $1800.

dstallguy and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    All good choices. That said, there are some nuances to keep in mind:

Les Baer's have a non-standard grip. The front strap has a larger radius and the side panels come up further (grip panels are wider). This makes the grip feel fuller. Some people love it, others not so much.

Les Baer also follows the "hard fit" build philosophy. The idea is that higher accuracy can be achieved by assembling the gun with tightly fit parts (namely the barrel bushing and slide) and allowing them to wear together. The consequence is that you'll need to break the gun in. Ed Brown has explicitly voiced disagreement with the hard fit build philosophy. He says that accuracy comes from consistent barrel/slide lock up, and that such consistency can be achieved with proper barrel fitting, etc.

I have a Valor (full size), and I've had the privilege of fondling an Ed Brown at my LGS. The Valor is a great gun for the money. But if money were no object, or you could get a good deal, I would get the Ed Brown over a Valor any day. They're just not in the same league.

The good news is that since you're looking for a commander, there is a surplus of Valor Commanders out there. I think you should be able to pick one up new for around 1300 in Stainless Steel.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  10. Journeyman1234

Journeyman1234 Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2017
    They're all great options and I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you choose. One thing to consider, if you want a bobtail, that limits your choices to DW and EB. I own a DW V-Bob and love it. It's my carry gun.
    Another thing to consider -- I believe EB offers a lifetime warranty on the gun, regardless of whether you are the original owner or not. So if you buy pre-owned, your gun is still under EB warranty.

11. Solheim75

Solheim75 New Member

Aug 20, 2018
    Sad thing is I sold my DW a few years back. Now looking again.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  12. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I too have a 5in valor. It’s a great production gun. I can’t stand 1911’s that require air tools to field strip. I’d go with Ed Brown or DW. Probably the Ed Brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Solheim75

Solheim75 New Member

Aug 20, 2018
    What model Ed Brown someone mentioned Kobra carry

14. CT72

CT72 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2015
    361B0433-86CC-4093-9E31-51E7F2450C06.jpeg A 5” Baer is tough to beat in that price range in my opinion.

Just Terry and boatdoc like this.
  15. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    In Ed Brown if you want a bobtail it would be Kobra Carry or you could seek out one of their CCO's but it'll costs more than your budget. Personally, I'm not a fan of Baer, I don't like the purple hue and I like a pretty gun, sorry.

Dan Wesson would be my choice, for the money they make an amazing 1911 and you can either go new or pre-loved and maybe even save a few more $$

1911fanatic likes this.
  16. Solheim75

Solheim75 New Member

Aug 20, 2018
    Feel free to share any listings if you come across something .

17. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    That pistol look familiar.. ;) with DW discontinuing these, I will probably customize this gun if I find the time and never get rid of it.

Babboonbobo and Whiten like this.
  18. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Normally that would be a no brained for me, if the three I’d say Baer! But Baer commanders seem to be more finicky than their government models judging by posts not personal experiences.

If it were me I’d lean towards a pre-owned Brown & have it worked over by a smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FWoo45 likes this.
  19. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I also say DW in Commander all the way..I have EB and DW in Commander and a Baer in FS, I shoot my Dan Wessons more than any of them.

20. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    On the matter of bobtails:

My experience with bobtails is that they do little to aid concealment. Maybe this is just because of my specific body type, fashion choices, and carry style. But, for me, the part of the gun that prints is the bottom front and side edges of the grip, not the back. Thus, a bobtail does nothing to mitigate printing... for me. Your mileage may vary.

Also, bobtails limit your options for magwell enhancements, such as a Stan Chen magwell or maxbevel MSH.

That said, I really like the aesthetics of a bobtail commander.

1911fanatic and Steve Owens like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted