Wolf Steel 9mm $400 10/19 3:09 PM

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by WVsig, Oct 19, 2020.

1. PhilaPop

PhilaPop Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Thx for the info, but I was using Wolf as an example of over inflated prices (but numbers were real). I just looked at the site (10/19 @15:20 hrs) and they are out of the Wolf ammo. I don't typically shoot Wolf ammo, but I will admit $20 a box is the cheapest I have seen in several weeks.

Thx again for sharing, and if you see other 9mm for $20 a box, pls keep us posted as I'm sure many addicts here would think that a great price.

Old_Man likes this.

2. Bluegrass

Bluegrass Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2020
    I have never fired the first round of steel cased ammo. I've read some pro's some con's. would you shoot it in one of your custom 1911's?

3. PhilaPop

PhilaPop Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2016
    When we spend lots of money on a custom gun, it doesn't make sense to me to use cheap ammo (IMHO). Therefore, I have never used Wolf steel ammo. When I first got started w/ guns, I bought a box of inexpensive steel ammo (not Wolf). I had lots of problems and eventually gave away most of a case of ammo. Early on, I had a mentor who did not have positive things to say about some of these brands.

I don't use ultra high end ammo, but I use good ammo such as Federal / Am Eagle, Spear Lawman, Fiocchi, Magtech (pistol only), etc. and I have had very few issues over the years. Something about a Nighthawk or a Cabot firing Wolf steel ammo just doesn't seem right to me. If there was nothing else around and I didn't have a stash at home, then I probably *would* buy Wolf steel, et al but luckily....

Bluegrass likes this.
  4. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Steel cases can be hard on extractors if you shoot a lot of it. It is not ideal but in these times if it is the difference between shooting and not shooting I would shoot steel. The biggest knock on it is it is dirty.

Lucky gunner did an extensive test with 556/223 in AR15s and steel cased, bimetal projectile ammo wore out barrels faster. I believe it had more to do with the powder used than the steel case or the projectile.

Unless you are shooting bullseye it is going to be as accurate as most factory plinking ammo. IMHO

5. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    I tried cheap steel case ammo, and won’t buy again. Shots were all over the place. Thought it was me, but I handed the gun to my daughter, and she was all over and missing the target also. Was shooting fine prior to switching ammo. The only 9mm left at the LGS the other day was steel, I passed on it, and evidently so did a lot of people.

10mm Guy likes this.
  6. itsmekevin

itsmekevin Active Member

Jan 16, 2018
    I've had great luck with Wolf steel cased ammo compared to others (Winchester steel etc). I've probably shot around 6,000 rounds of Wolf through various firearms (mostly polymer) but have been shooting them through my 1911's recently due to the shortage.

10mm Guy and WVsig like this.
  7. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Yes! If I have a gun that is that finicky I don’t want that gun. I have shot steel case ammo in my NH, Wilson’s, GI, EB, LB etc etc
    I do not make it a habit but will use it and these trying times are exactly why I have and can use if need be.

10mm Guy, PhilaPop and WVsig like this.
  8. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    You can substitute "cheap steel case ammo" with WWB and make the exact same statement. Cheap ammo is generally cheap ammo. Also even a monkey falls out of the tree every now and then. Every manufacturer makes a bad lot of ammo now and then. I don't shoot ton of it but I have never had more problem with Tula/Wolf than other brands. YMMV

10mm Guy likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted