won't get fooled again (next time)

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by switchback, Oct 21, 2018.

1. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    So, out making my rounds and spotted one of the CZ 1911A1 pistols. #305.
    It looked very nice and was wearing an ed brown btgs nicely fitted --- on the right side. I admit I was smitten to find a well priced used example, and let my emotions get the better of me. After getting it home and cleaned up, I realized the the right side of btgs is fit a LOT better than the left side. It's got a gap of 1/16" plus, yuck! Question will one of EGW .245 grip safties work this out? I really don't want to get it welded up as that would make this "well-priced" used pistol not such a good deal.
    It certainly shoots nice, reliable and accurate. Maybe I'm being too picky, but this bothers me. Opinions please? Thanks

2. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    I know who did the work !!!

AA9E5AD8-2E26-427E-A526-ED4DE8CF4752.jpeg

xerts1191, simonp, Kip and 6 others like this.

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
  4. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    My assumption would be that the EGW or Harrison grip safety would help. But it also depends on how much of the tangs were blended to the under side and top of the grip safety. And you know what happens when you make assumptions.

5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    What AZpoolguy said, there is a chance, but not knowing if the ed brown was a full custom fitted gs, or just a drop in, makes it hard to say.. You could just order one from Brownells, check it out, and if it's a no go, just send it back for their forever guarantee.. ;) GL Pics would be nice.. lol also would like to see the underside of the grip safety to see how the tangs on these guns are made. If they are similar to the DW's I have been working with, or if they did their own grip safety tangs more conventionally.

william adams likes this.
  6. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
  7. switchback

Jun 2, 2014
    Thanks to all for the advise. Asking at church today got me a guy that runs a tool and fabrication shop. He said he'd be glad to either tig or wire feed, whatever I needed. Very nice. But I'm a bit worried about warping. I suppose anything is possible, that sure makes the .220 suggested by Mr. Pistolwrench an attractive solution. Cost effective too. Again, thanks fellas, I'll let you know the final decision and outcome. Much appreciated

limbkiller likes this.
  8. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    220 would definitely be a go but a good deal of blending going from a .250-.220 radius. Just a heads up. Totally doable though 4 sure.

WWB likes this.
  9. switchback

Jun 2, 2014
    Grip safety and new jig ordered direct from the good folks $ S&A. Must call, no internet orders. Refreshing.
    I'll let you all know the outcome. Yep, lots of blending ahead. Thanks again

Steve Owens likes this.
  10. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Also buddy check at grip safety over real good SNA has a little bit of a reputation for boogered-up parts just a heads up

william adams likes this.
  11. switchback

Jun 2, 2014
    As always, any info is good info. Thanks for the heads up. Seems I have encountered a few tight and off centered thumb safety axle holes with S&A. Fingers crossed. If it won't help, I will return and bite the bullet for an EGW or Harrison version. Thanks again

limbkiller likes this.
  12. switchback

Jun 2, 2014
    update:

The S&A .220 grip safety arrived from S&A direct at much better price than brownells, $20 less. After looking it over under magnification and taking measurements, thanks @Steve Owens, it did need to be narrowed, glad it was wider than my frame as opposed to narrower.
    Then began the the fitting, so with jig in hand, I began. Really taking my time to attempt to salvage this mess. Always a good idea anyhow! No issued presented in fitting the grip safety to the frame. But.... the as purchased ed brown grip safety had been blended to the bottom of the grip tangs. So there is a generous gap at bottom of this area, at least it is uniform to both sides. Blending? yep plenty, as mentioned by pistolwrench

All in all, it was a good save. Looks nice, functions flawlessly and best of all is way beyond the original boogered up right side of the of the as purchased left side grip tangs. I'm satisfied. Is it the custom hairline gap? It is at the top 3/4" that I fit up. The bottom most of the tangs has been described.

This is really a shout out to @pistolwrench and @steveowens. One of the things I love about this place is the helpfullness of the members, and the honest suggestions by most. Thank you fellas, probably would not have turned out this well. I'm thankful to not have welded it up. And the welder admitted his reluctance also after I told him another "fix" had been recommended. Thank you both! (sorry theres no pics)

13. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I usually get a good discount from Brownells and the S&A magwells and many of their parts has been upgraded to machined so the prices are going up.. Sometimes I just have to buy a couple different brands to see what will fill in the best and allow for the best finished appearance and function. I am sure the more practice I get the more I will know what brands go best with what pistols, but once one has been blended or a fit and blend has been attempted, changing the radius aside from welding may be the only viable option. I am glad things turned out. But, some pics would be nice ;)

william adams and FWoo45 like this.
  14. 22ConversionUnut

22ConversionUnut Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2018
    I'm quite interested in this thread. See my thread above about my question on grip safety radius. Can you post some pic's?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted