Wood or synthetic - What's your preference and why?

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by too_pure, Feb 14, 2012.

1. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I love the classic look of a wood rifle stock, but you pay for it. Seems like most people have synthetics nowadays, just based on my limited observation.

So what do you prefer?

2. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I prefer the grain of wood over synthetic. I like sanding and finishing my own stocks from rough blanks or previously used stocks. That doesn't mean I won't use a synthetic, though. I have a Hogue OM on my 10/22 and love it. It's light, doesn't get slippery when it's wet, and I don't mind the dings and scrapes it acquires over time.

Each serves a purpose. One makes a great truck/utility gun. The other makes a fine looking rifle (that in most cases, people will want to take the utmost care of).

The same is true for pistols.

3. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I like either. I hate worrying about damaging a good pc of wood though. I've found laminated to be a good option, accurate and nice to look at.

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Wood is the only way to go.

Worked just fine for the Dough Boys in WWI, worked fine for the Marines in Iwo Jima.

M1903, M1 Garand,.....both very well suited in walnut! :nod:

Sawgrass likes this.
  5. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Hunting just a couple seasons in Colorado made up my mind:

Wood is for looks, synthetics are for the field.

mikegalway likes this.
  6. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    :thumb:
    I love wood but synthetics are way more durable. They will twist [synthetics] and do stupid stuff despite what people claim. Less likely though. Your rifle will not be as pretty as wood but is functional and if your like me a wood stock will get dings and scratches in a hurry. I have and hunt with both. Prefer wood though as I'm old school.

7. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    Wood.. synthetics are just too light..

8. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I like synthetics on most things, but I do love some nice wood.

HD Shotgun is Synthetic, Sporting Shotgun will be wood.

9. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
  10. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    As a lefty, I can get so envious of all the gorgeous right-hand wood stocked firearms I see at a gun show. If I stop and think "would you carry that if you had it in a lefty"? the answer is HELL NO!! Love the way they look, but honestly they're not very practical anymore.

I've been carrying the same old '06 Browning A-Bolt for the past twenty years or so, the first ding/scrape in that beautiful hi-gloss varnish nearly made me throw up. Thing looks like it's got road rash now,,could care less. Have been thinking of having it cammo-dipped, but that'd just get scarred up as well.

Bob

11. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Just shoot off your right shoulder. I can shoot off either shoulder equally well.

Arkie likes this.
  12. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Depends on what it's used for. My last two builds I did one of each. The claro walnut is a thing of beauty, but I have to be careful even putting that in in the safe. A polymer stock makes a great rough duty rifle, and I definitely see the upside there.

13. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I have found it impossible to shoot rifles right handed, even though I am right handed. My right eye just has a very difficult time picking up the scope. Lefty... No problem. I'll still get a right handed rifle though.

14. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    A friend I work with is like that. He's a righty, shoots pistols right handed, but rifles left handed... weirdo...:der:

15. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Can't you just see that being used to hold down the top strand of barbed-wire so your buddy can get over the fence?
    :lol:

16. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Seems almost every time I set up a deerstand they almost always walk out where I have to shift my lefthanded bolt gun to the right shoulder to get a shot. They warp the ground equally well. But when I'm spending upwards of a grand I tend to think I should get what I want.

17. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Only after you place a letter "G" over the "N" on the "No Hunting" sign.

18. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Well now it's looking more like a Weatherby Vanguard in .270 WM.

Picking a rifle is harder than picking a 1911.

19. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Then ya still have to decide on rings and glass!

20. MJ1

MJ1 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    Tough call on that question. I really like both.

[​IMG]

Cheers
    ...MJ...

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted