Work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by too_pure, Dec 7, 2011.

1. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I hate my job. I was recruited to work here about a year and a half ago. I interviewed for a postion that simply never came to fruition once I started. It was a bait and switch. Probably not planned by my employer, but the effect is the same. And the position I am in seems to be unecessary. So I often wonder when the axe will drop on me. I suppose they would have to give me a severance and all of that because they have no performance based reason to get rid of me. And I don't even know if they want to. But it wouldn't surprise me.

My boss is a short little troll who prefers working with girls. He'd rather have a skirt and boobs sitting in his office with him than me. He also wants people who don't know anything so he can look like a big genius. That's not me. In fact, at my past job, I was in his position, the boss. He knows this and understands that because of it I can see through they way he is. Day after day this gets old and wears on my good spirits.

People in my area have all been selling their boats and horses, eliminating anything that is not work from their lives, in order to work constantly. I've always understood the need and been willing to put in extra when it's required, but around here the norm is to just hang around into the night for no apparent reason, just to be at work more, which I am not into. None of these people have kids let alone three of them. I need to be around for them in the evening and all I want to do is have a workday that ends. I've always been willing to stay when needed, just not all the time for nothing. I've always seen evidence of good perfomance in the lack of a need to work until 8:00 pm every day. I swear these people have never heard of results. They just want to look good by never going home. And I draw the line there.

So why do I not simply go and get another job? Because I am paid pretty well. If I were to go somewhere else I'd almost certainly take a significant pay cut. So I feel a little trapped. I have dipped my toes in the water of the job market a couple times over the past year and know that when the time comes I can be at a new job in a relatively short time. So it sometimes feels like I am just waiting to get let go.

2. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Did you just read my bio?

3. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    What do you do? Your job?

4. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I'm right there with you with my day job only I'm not well paid. Under paid and under appreciated. Passed over for promotions by people I trained and new hires are being paid more than me even with a 7% raise this year.

It's tough out there so I guess all we can do is hang in there and ride the storm untill something better comes along.

Good luck

5. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm not paid well for the job I do. Other people in this line of work are paid twice what I get. The down side to that is they are mostly government contractors. I wouldn't leave for anything though, I mean, where else am I going to go and get to blow stuff up, and shoot guns, and get paid for it?

6. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I'm an accountant at a private Christian university. I was supposed to be like a bridge between IT and accounting, which was perfect for me because I wanted to move more toward IT, database admin type stuff. That's what I interviewed for and was hired for. Never came to be.

7. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    How old are you too pure. I could have made way more money by traveling but chose to stay close to home with my wife and help raise the kids. Now that they are gone not many want to hire an old guy. All of them want somebody that will be around 20-25 yrs. I made the choise I made and am glad I made that choise but sometimes........ I have a couple of buddies in different fields that are worried as they are in there 50s to. Something to think about.

8. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I recently moved from Miami to Kansas.
    Worked aircraft for many years. Recently started welding at Caterpillar.
    We make the buckets, blades & shovels for Cat.

I'm having more fun at this job than I did working aircraft in many years.
    The down side is I took a 45% pay cut.

You can not buy happiness with a ridiculous salary!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  9. Samcro

Samcro US Army Retired 1911 Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2011
    I do not envy you at all working at Cat as a welder I hope they are paying you good Brother , as i was once there doing the same thing for the military fixing the stuff that was tore up man was it ruff tell them you can smoke a rod or wire and you are fried the rest of the time you said I do .. :frusty: :peep: had to stay low from top all the time that fool could not drive .

10. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I'm just gonna say one thing...

Be thankful you have a job. :thumb:

For 26 yrs I have gone to work at a job which I hate.

Why?

It's a job.

It brings home the bacon.My old man grew up during the depression.

No careers,just jobs.

You fed your family.That's what a job was about.No "JOB SATISFACTION", you put food on the table.

Now,at 54,the road is a lot shorter.Maybe now I can "enjoy"what I choose to do.

If not,tough s**t,bills still have to be paid.

Be thankful,it's Christmas and you can afford to buy the ones you love a gift.

A lot of good people can't.

Rant over.

DAT85

11. Samcro

Nov 19, 2011
    I agree Dat I wish I was able to do 1/2 what i once did . hell even 2 weeks ago much less a few years back when i was able to work . now I thank the Good Lord for the ability to wake and see my kids and wife every day now. and have the fellowship that i do with good friends .

Sam

12. DAT85

Aug 26, 2011
    :thumb:

It's been a rough year for a lot of people,now is time to give thanks for what we have,mainly,each other.

DAT85

13. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    You have friends Sam?

14. DAT85

Aug 26, 2011
    That's like a fart in church.......... :lol:

DAT85

15. Samcro

Nov 19, 2011
    :jaw: Dammmmmn

16. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    :thumb:

17. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I believe that most employment situations are " at will".... meaning they can fire you and /or you can quit.... don't really need a reason...

In my opinion, the best time to look for a job, is when you already have one....

I don't know what the economy is like in Arizona, but I have lost my shorts from Michigan to Florida and Back again in the Building/Construction Industry since 2005....
    I know many guys out of work right now... loosing homes, cars, and marriages....

Do the best that you can for as long as you can.... thank GOD you are on the GREEN side of the grass and over use the words I LOVE YOU to your wife and kids.:thumb:

18. Samcro

Nov 19, 2011
    Farming round here and barting has been in full swing round here for more than a year

19. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer New Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Gotta agree with Dat, be glad you have a job. I've been keeping my head above water (barely) for over 2 years now doing under the table remodel type work and it's damn scary not knowin where the next gig is comin from.

20. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    Amen.... If you want to give Michigan another try I have a house Up there I will sell ya.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted