Working on a new holster design

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by handforged, Jun 16, 2020.

1. handforged

handforged Limestone Canyon Leather and Tool Supporting Addict Sponsor

May 19, 2020
    Sorry for the picture quality, I will post better pictures once the rain stops here. *******

I'm a retired saddle maker and full time blacksmith. I already offer a good many custom leather products with my knives but I am always asked about holsters. I have made a good many in the past but they were always just utilitarian and not really for show. I wanted to make something that was my own. Certainly reminiscent of other good working holsters but not stepping on anyone's toes that is already a maker. I started messing with the 1AT design and although I love it there are a few things I would change, so that is what I started with. I dropped the holster slightly on the belt. Opened the front of the holster to expose the ejection port. Tucked it into the body more and canted the butt inwards. I also have a little forward cant in it, as that is what I prefer. holster2.jpg holster1.jpg holster.jpg This is the first one on that pattern I have made, so go easy on me. This one is in mahogany horse hide with shark skin trim. It has a horsehide stiffener in the belt slot to keep the holster clamped into place on the belt. I would appreciate some feedback as I move forward with these. The next version will have a few slight changes and I plan to possibly do a lined and unlined version for carry or range use. This is a work in progress..

Opinions and observations are appreciated.

2. OldCuz

OldCuz So, I held this 1911 and then.... Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    Looking forward to seeing more of your work. That 1st one looks good.

handforged likes this.

3. handforged

May 19, 2020
    Thanks, once I get the design finalized I am planning to put together a group buy sort of scenario to purchase a new Leather stitcher. Then I guess I will be adding holsters to the repertoire.

OldCuz and Genes 1911 like this.
  4. handforged

May 19, 2020
    I've had it on my belt since finishing it. Gotta say, I dig it. Wife snapped a cell picture to illustrate where it sits on the belt. 20200616_125440.jpg

5. AGENT P

AGENT P 1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Jun 24, 2019
    That's sharp. I was going to ask about holsters as well. Glad to see you took the plunge. I've got a holster in mind but no one makes it. Once you get ready I'll hit you up with my request.

6. handforged

May 19, 2020
    HA! well pm me and we can discuss it. I need to get something together to get a new leather stitcher so I don't ruin my hands

AGENT P, Mikey00130 and wrmiller like this.
  7. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    I like the fact your design appears compatible with optics to start with.

OldCuz, wrmiller and handforged like this.
  8. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    Great first attempt. I'd suggest fully covering the muzzle and front sight though. Good luck!

9. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    If you could make it a smidge longer to just cover the muzzle end on a Government model, just enough to ensure the front sight doesn't get hung up, and use leather that is tan vs cordovan, I would be in for one.

10. handforged

May 19, 2020
    The horsehide I am using is veg tanned so I can dye it any color, or leave it natural. I'll also have a few trim options. Stingray, shark, beavertail, snake, lizard. I was planning to extend it another 3/8". I had another person mention the uncovered muzzle but there is no contact on the front sight at all. It has a molded channel for it. Not sure that is easy to see from the pictures. I am thinking of offering a limited run to start with. Maybe holster and matching belt for one price, with a relatively short turn around to get a jump start.

UBOATDOC, switchback, Fred_G and 3 others like this.
  11. El Perdido

Oct 3, 2011
    I understand the sight channel, however some of us like the holster to completely cover the slide, and have 1/4 inch of leather beyond the muzzle as a bumper.

12. handforged

May 19, 2020
    The first revision is on the bench now. I think I will do it natural horsehide with beaver tail trim. It will show those updates to the pattern.

ILED93, wrmiller and gps man like this.
  13. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I would be in for one of those.
    I prefer a straight drop if possible.

handforged likes this.
  14. El Perdido

Oct 3, 2011
    I prefer straight drop as well.

15. barmandr

barmandr SHEEPLE HERDER Supporting Addict

Oct 11, 2011
    Seems by leaving the ejection port exposed you may have created a situation where it creates a sort of "flap". This, with time and use, could become a weak point where it could bend and pull away.

handforged likes this.
  16. handforged

May 19, 2020
    I considered that while making the pattern. That is the reason for the overlay. Bonding leather there as a stiffened should keep that from happening. Even if someone didn't want exotic hide in that location, it would still get another layer of horsehide to give it extra body.

17. El Perdido

Oct 3, 2011
    Might want to toss out a ballpark price into the discussion

18. handforged

May 19, 2020
    Not sure as of yet on a price. This is just bouncing ideas around. Lots of variables for figuring price and right now I just want the pattern finished.

gps man likes this.
  19. handforged

May 19, 2020
    Spoiler alert. Second gen is natural tan 20200616_162017.jpg horsehide with elephant trim. I'm making a mag pouch/ fighter sheath to match it.

20. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    In addition to making it a tad-bit longer to cover the muzzle, make sure there is not so much leather up-top that you cannot fully wrap you hand around the grip.

Also, consider making the belt loop a bit longer front and back to distribute the gun's weight better. And offer to handle both 1.5" and 1.75" belts.

And be careful about lowering the holster too much. Modern jackets are too short to cover a full-size 1911.

I'd buy one.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted