1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My elder brother is worrying that working the slide on the 1911 will, at some point, become too difficult for him. As a revolver guy, I have mentioned Condition One, and cocking the hammer first, but he is reluctant for whatever reasons.

On another forum, I recall seeing a porter bushing that was long enough you could insert a magazine and push the bushing onto a hard surface. The ported bushing was long enough to allow the slide to rack enough to load from the magazine. No one seems to know who made or marketed it.

If anyone here can help, it would be appreciated.

Kevin

·
Registered
104 Posts
there are hammers designed to reduce the force needed to rack, curved face

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,042 Posts
Honestly, it's technique. If his left hand is over the top and he pushes with both hands in opposite directions strength isn't an issue

·
Registered
378 Posts
Like 41 Charlie and Mike0707 said 5" 1911s chambered in 9mm are very easy to manipulate. Mine uses a 9lb recoil spring, 18lb mainspring (hammer spring), and a very rounded firing pin stop. It takes very little effort to move the slide all the way to the rear.

If switching to a 9mm isn't an option then there are two commonly used techniques that should allow the slide to be manipulated.

azguy1911 described one. Let me expand on it just a bit.
  • Grip the pistol in the shooting hand
  • Hold the pistol next to your chest such that the side of the pistol is flat against your chest
  • Grasp the top of the slide with your other hand so it doesn't move
  • Hold the slide tightly while pushing the grip with your shooting hand. You're pushing the frame instead of pulling the slide.
You won't actually be able to hold the pistol touching your chest. You need some clearance to be able to make everything work.

Replacing the mainspring (hammer spring) with a 12 or 14lb Wolff will reduce the force needed to manipulate the slide and still allow good functioning using standard pressure .45 ammo.

Here's another technique that isn't often mentioned.

I became aware of this technique during my Army days when we all carried 1911s. Military Police were not allowed to carry their .45s with a chambered round. Instead they were issued special holsters that had an opening on the bottom that allowed the barrel to pass through. The draw involved pushing the pistol down while in the holster to force the slide back then pulling the pistol out of the holster to chamber the round.

As long as there was no full length guide rod in the pistol this technique worked acceptably well.

The same technique works without a holster if you place the recoil spring plug the edge of a table and forcefully push the pistol down. I use this technique at the range if I get a round stuck in the chamber and I can't easily pull the slide back. Just be sure to keep your finger off the trigger (keep your booger hook off the bang switch).

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I bought my gf a s&w m&p 380ez. They make them in 9mm too. It's set up very similar to the 1911. Its hammer fired, grip safety, and thumb safety. I actually really like it and I dont even own any polymer guns.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve in Allentown,

The ported bushing acts much like the holster. Wish I could find one.

Kevin

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tac45,

Who sells that handle? Not perfect but it might work for him.

Kevin

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
tac45,

Who sells that handle? Not perfect but it might work for him.

Kevin

Good lord, don't you know that you never, and I mean NEVER, ask TAC who sells something . . . . . .

I feel like a ballet of flying monkeys is about to start . . . . .

Z

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,980 Posts
I have a 9x19 GI Commander with an 11lb recoil spring, it racks like “butta.”

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
As a revolver guy, I have mentioned Condition One, and cocking the hammer first, but he is reluctant for whatever reasons.
Hard to help some people.

Due to a wounded middle left finger and general arthritis, I have gone to the push-push rack described above. When tinkering in the shop, I thumb cock the hammer.

The longest of the "ported bushings" I have seen was not long enough to rack the slide, the barrel still protrudes.

The hook or ledge shaped rear sights will let you rack the slide against a table, doorframe, boot heel, etc.

The device Zoid shows or the Hand-Racker will give him more of a purchase on the gun.
http://www.handi-racker.com/index.html

The lightest mainspring I consider reliable is 19 lbs. The original recoil spring was 13.5 lbs.
The Cammer Hammer, the Optimized Hammer, or a similar scallop on a standard hammer will reduce the cocking effort... if you just don't want to thumb cock it.

Or buy a new gun, we are free with other people's money.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I will explain the push/push method to him. His shoulder needs to be replaced and the longer he puts it off, the longer it will take to recover.

I saw the video of the ported bushing and wish I would have purchased it then.

Kevin

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jim w. mentioned a hand injury and arthritis. There are certainly other conditions that keep a person from racking the slide.

How would a person with one arm rack a 1911?

Kevin

·
Get off my lawn...
14,811 Posts
Jim w. mentioned a hand injury and arthritis. There are certainly other conditions that keep a person from racking the slide.

How would a person with one arm rack a 1911?

Kevin
Although doable, I would strongly recommend a revolver for a one armed individual. JMO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts