1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I was running my original E series SW1911 today and the more I shot, it would sometimes fail to return to battery. The gun is nearing the 3,000 round mark and I've read various recommendations but most say around 2,000-3,000 is the life span for a standard recoil spring. I believe this is the cause because they all failed the exact same way (started up feed ramp and stopped about halfway in) but I want to see if someone can confirm. Also, the frequency seemed to increase the dirtier the gun became. Gun has not experienced this type of failure until today and it also is the first time not being cleaned between range sessions but still was oiled.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
what Mike said ^^^^^^

·
Registered
687 Posts
Recoil impulse feels differnt but i like the wilson combat flat wire spring and guide set . found out i liked them after shooting a sig 1911 with factory flatwire spring

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Everybody should try the flatwire at least once .
JayRock9er
Gave one a try in a .38sup Commander for light loads... seemed a bit "slow-ish."
Perhaps a try again in something more normal...

Reactions: SW1911302

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,017 Posts
Reminds me I have to order some springs.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,496 Posts
If you put a fresh spring in a gun, and take it out and shoot it, the spring will take a “set” where it will be considerably shorter than a new spring. It happens quite quickly. I’ve noticed it as soon as 100 rounds .

I believe the OP has it right. Replace the recoil spring .

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
New spring, I'm a Wolff guy, I've had the best consistent success with them!
Also make sure you're properly lubed. Dry guns can get sticky!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
38 super + commander - never shot one of those what rate was the spring ? flatwire should be 1-2 pounds heavier than a stock spring.
Good info........ Thanks!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the replies! It looks like I'll be giving the Wolffs a try.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts