Would Like to Try an OWB Holster..Suggestions for an Inexpensive Option Please.

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Nalajr, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all,

I am waiting on my Texas CCW license. I have decided to carry my Colt Commander and my Hi Power some. I have a couple of IWB Summer Special type holsters that I have been testing out for the last few days. I've been wearing it around the house and yard trying to see how I like it. I don't have a problem carrying my other lighter pistols in an IWB rig, but I'm afraid that the Commander and my Colt NRM are just too heavy for me to carry comfortably. The Hi Power is right on the line of being OK and too heavy so I'd like to try an OWB for the Hi Power as well. I guess that's a good thing cause the Hi Power will fit pretty well in most holsters made for the 1911.

What I'd like to do is find a cheap, or inexpensive, OWB holster to try out and see how I like it before I go and sink money into a holster that I'll find out doesn't work well for me and goes into the "holster drawer" that we all have.

I've been looking a bit at some holsters to see what's out there in the OWB carry option. I like the Sparks 55BN, the #60TK. There's others I like too. The #60TK is said to be their highest riding holster on the Sparks web site. I don't know how I'd like that. I would like it to be close to my body too. Maybe it would be best to have a mid level position on the belt. So many holsters and options. This makes it vary difficult to pick something if you're like me and have no experience in carry a heavy weapon OWB. I enjoy carrying my Glock 19 in the simple, cheap, Glock Sport Holster that costs about $15! It wears and feels great to me. If I could get something that held the weapon in a similar fashion as the Glock Sport Holster for my Commander, NRM and Hi Power....I'd be just fine with that.

So...can you all suggest something for me to try to see if OWB carry will work for me? Of course, I don't mind USED at all. Heck, I wouldn't mind RENTING holsters for a week or so to try them out and see what I liked.

If you have any suggestions or ideas, please let me know. Any help you can give me will certainly be very much appreciated. Have a great weekend everyone and be safe.

Larry

2. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Search Amazon for some cheap options.

unclebuck5 likes this.

3. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Cheap holster will be cheap, you probably wont like it much. Look for a used quality holster. I've bought them off this sight for under $75 shipped, last iwb I bought was $55. I recommend privateer leather raider, I had one for a 5" Government. They are mid ride and very well made.

https://www.privateerleather.com/avenger-style-owb-holsters

4. studenygreg

studenygreg Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Galco combat master for leather which is my preference. For kydex I go with a local company here in town called On your 6 holsters. If my pistol isnt in the catalogue I can take it there and they will make a custom holster, mag holder, or whatever you want.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. studenygreg

studenygreg Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Were are you located? I have some holsters you can check out of you are in or near satx. I have a butt load of them that I dont even use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ethanol Red likes this.
  6. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Concerning comfort of wear, in my estimation, at least as important as the holster, is having a good supporting gun belt. I found, having a good gun belt impacts the ‘comfort level’ as much as which holster is chosen (maybe, even more so).

Don_P, RIS, unclebuck5 and 3 others like this.
  7. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    All leather pancake with a good gunbelt as referenced above.

Like so...

(I think I paid $55 ($65 now) for the holster and $75 for the belt. ChiefJason in Hickory, NC makes the holsters, and Gunbelt, aka Curt Gillock makes the belts "Fatboy Belts, by Twofoools Leather in Monroe NC.

DSCN0116.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    1911 dawg, Otherside and ORShooter like this.
  8. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    gps man likes this.
  9. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Since you mentioned the 55BN, I’ll say that is my favorite OWB holster and actually all I use.

Getting a cheap holster would be like trying out a Hi-Point to see if you like shooting and carrying. Just no comparison between a cheap and a quality holster.

Mr. Knight, studenygreg and Otherside like this.
  10. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    I am in the Spring area, just northwest of Houston.

I want to try and find out what I like and will be most comfortable to me BEFORE I spend a lot of money on a holster. I’d hate to spend a bunch on a holster to find out later that I didn’t like it very much or that it was uncomfortable.
    I’ve checked out the Privateer holsters and they are beautiful. I especially like how you can get your holster in a number of different colors. I plan on getting one from him when I find out exactly what I like best.

AZ HUSKER...those Tucker holsters are beautiful too. The one you mentioned, the HF1, is my favorite. I recall seeing one of that model with a belt to match that had basketweave work on each and it was a cordovan or oxblood color and the holster had a Texas Lone Star in silver put on the “flap” and boy let me tell ya, that was one of the most beautiful carry gun rigs I’ve ever seen. Geez it was incredible. I’ve seen another in Black that was stunning as well.

There’s just way too many incredible holster makers out there these days!!

Thanks all.
    Larry

11. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013

Go to Academy and pick up a cheap Fobus. Its as cheap as you can get but will give you the feel so you can see if you like it or not.

Caveat being there is a reason most of us have drawers full of holsters. What works for me won't work for you. There is a certain combo of Belt, Gun and Holster that works for each of us. Unfortunately they are not the same combo.

Lou1 likes this.
  12. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    @tarosean beat me to it. I’m willing to bet that a majority of members on here have a drawer full of holsters. I know that it kind of sucks but there’s just no way to know if you’re going to like a particular holster without trying it.

13. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    Where are you nalajr? I'll bet most of us would be happy to loan you a holster to try out. I'm in Phoenix.

cgff likes this.
  14. Crewchief

Crewchief Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2017
    Personal opinion here, for what it's worth:

If you're going to get an OWB holster, please get one with at least a thumb break. If not a thumb break, some other form of L2 retention.

Personally, I've got two retention holsters I like for my 1911: a Bianchi model 82

https://www.opticsplanet.com/bianchi-82-carrylok-holster-plain-black-right-hand-22156.html

Which OpticsPlanet has right now for $44, or the Safariland ALS

https://www.opticsplanet.com/safari...elt-loop-combo.html?_iv_gun-model=kimber-1911

for $40.

I have both of these holsters and can heartily recommend both. Personally, I prefer the Bianchi (it's a bit more comfortable being leather, and it holds a bit tighter to my body), but both work remarkably well.

CC

15. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    I find the Desantis Mini Scabbard to be more comfortable than a pancake holster. They aren't to costly. I carry a lightweight Commander. I also have them for a 642 and an LC9.

16. 3Baers

3Baers 1911 oldie

Oct 9, 2011
    OWB, for 1911, Safariland 5198 with paddle attachment.
    All you ever gonna need.

They don't make one for the HP.

17. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I’ll send you a holster to try out. I have a couple open bottom types that I don’t use. PM me if interested.

limbkiller and ORShooter like this.
  18. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    There ya go! Can't beat that with a stick. More of that Addicts greatness!:thumbs:

limbkiller and tac45 like this.
  19. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Imho, if you buy based on price not qualify you will end up buying twice .
    Materials- type and thickness of leather, cowhide or horsehide, lined or unlined.
    Is the holster reinforced to make reholstering easy
    Sight track or not
    If it has a sweat shield , is it reinforced with stitching to prevent folding ?
    Correctly molded ?
    Cant of Holster
    Rivets or snaps that could mar the pistols finish
    All the above are important in choosing a comfortable holster that will mold to you with use .

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted