Would you let your Wife CC a .22 pistol?

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by Trent, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    My wife loves shooting .22 pistols and rifles. She is a bit uneasy about larger calibers when we shoot at the range. I know that if her life or the kids like depended on it she would have zero issues using a LCP or something like that, but she would be more comfortable with a .22 pistol. That being said would you feel comfortable knowing that your wife was going to have to defend herself with a .22 god forbid the need should arise? I know it isn't the optimal caliber, but I am a firm believer in that you should be comfortable with the firearm you are going to carry.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. jcp907

jcp907 Member

Sep 28, 2011
    If she has confidence with it, and in it, yes.

3. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Carrying something is better than carrying nothing. Perhaps this is a stepping stone. ("Gateway gun") If you are talking about an Auto, make sure it's reliable, an issue with the .22 round. Maybe even consider a .25? That's what I got for my wife (though she still rarely carries).

4. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Trent,

A friend of mine is an investigator on the NEHwyP here. He told me one day during a discussion about this very topic that every case he has ever worked where someone was shot with a .22LR caliber pistol or rifle, they died... Something about that little bullet, especially with a hollow point, just does the trick. Not to mention that most people can shoot two or three shots with it to your one shot with a larger caliber... Just something to consider.

Best Regards,

5. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I struggle with this issue. I am a firm believer in carrying a service caliber or above for primary self defense. I've heard/read all the arguments about this caliber and that caliber and shot placement, etc. I don't trust a smaller caliber to stop the worst type of attacker (crackheads and meth heads hell bent on killing me or my family). Personally, I won't carry less than 357 mag, 10mm or 45acp. That's just me.

As for my wife, I wish she would carry SOMEthing. The purpose of carrying a firearm is the stop the threat, not necessarily kill the threat. I want her to have the best chance possible to stop the threat. I personally don't feel a .22 is ideal for this. It may eventually kill the attacker, but how long with that take? Will he know he was shot and stop the attack or will he carry on and do what he set out to do? I realize this could happen with any size bullet, but bigger and deeper is better IMO. I would HOPE she would opt for at least a 38 snubbie. Something that has less chance to malfunction, no safeties to be concerned with and can be fired while inside her purse. She has shot a number of handguns in various calibers, and believe it or not, she preferred shooting a 457 (45acp) i used to have. Heavier gun with less felt recoil. She shoots my 360 loaded with 38sp really well and has no complaints about recoil. This would be my first choice for her, and hopefully her first choice as well.

6. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    I find that a lot of people get hung up on the caliber argument. Bigger is better. Not necessarily. A lot of guys like to argue that a 9mm is not enough firepower for CC. I say let her go for it.

7. Trent

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks for the thoughts guys... I let me wife read them as well, and she said she said she would feel more comfortable carrying a .22 for now until he gets more comfortable with a larger caliber... I know when I worked at the Sheriff's Dept. out of all the homicide cases we worked, more people were killed with .22s over any other caliber. Those were more up close and personal shootings vs. a CC shooting would usually be...

8. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Trent, your last statement about .22's killing more people is pretty accurate. I wish I could find the old website that an EMT had. He linked to some statistics that showed more people killed from .22's that any other caliber.

I agree that a .22 is better than nothing, and bigger is not always better. The main point though, she needs to carry what she is most comfortable and most accurate with, even if it is with the tiny .22.

The aforementioned crack heads and such have been shot numerous times with 9mm and .45, and still kept on attacking, so I don't think it's a matter of caliber in that case, but getting shot placement. If you put one or two in the head of anything it's going down, high on drugs or not. And that all comes back to being good with what you carry, even if it's a freakin' sling shot.

9. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    If it were me I'd look for a centerfire cartridge, such as a .25 or even .32 over a .22 just for a more reliable ignition. A misfire with a .22 isn't uncommon even with good ammo.

Yes, any bullet can kill someone, that's a given. The real question/issue is stopping someone...big difference. I'd say a .22 is better than nothing but I'd look for a little more. A Beretta Tomcat might be a good one to consider.

10. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Just a little bit of opinion here... hehe...

No handgun of service caliber or below is an optimal fight stopper. They are all flawed... weak... and require training & multiple hits to quickly STOP (not kill.. if they die, fine.. but we're talking about stopping a threat from continuing) a determined attacker. Stopping power is a fallacy... stopping power depends on so many different variables, that no one can know going into a fight, that you might as well forget about it.. and worry about putting rounds into the threat... and finding cover/safety... than what caliber happens to be flying in the air.

Those that are confident, trained, and able to put rounds into the threat until it stops will have the best chance of survival. To me.. it doesn't matter. If my wife can do that with a .22lr shooting velocitors (40grains at 1200+ fps), or a wather PP shooting .32 acp... or a 9mm... .40.. .45 it dont matter.

to me, I'm more concernedwith her mindset (a fighters mindset... not a scared, out of control panicking mindset.. comes from traning & confidence)

I'm more concerned that she has built up a good working knowledge with the gun, and can operate it under stress. Thats the biggest hurdle... not caliber.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  11. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Beretta Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011
    I'd take a 22 over a 25 - 25 rounds typically suck. EVen with the reliability of the 25 being a cenbterfire. I've had this conversation with a few people years ago. And everyone agreed that bullet choice for a 22 was better than 25..

However - I would never let my wife carry a 22. A 380 is the minimum, IMHO...

12. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Also.. not to be argumentative.. heheh

I dont "let" my wife do anything. Treat her like an equal.. let her choose her own equipment... and she'll be that more enthused about training, practice, ect..

My wife would not shoot while I kept buying her guns. While I was picking out her guns, she was insulted that I was treating her like a child. I quit doing that. I asked her to be my shooting buddy, and pick out her own gear. She surprised me, picking out an N frame 625 in .45 acp. She shoots it like a champ. Her gun collection consisted of a CZ75, a CZ Skorpion, a Mateba in .357 and her 625. Not a single one is something I would have "picked out" for her.

give your lady a chance to surprise you.... ask her to join you as an equal, take her shopping ad let her decide what she likes. It'll be HER gun.

13. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I think EdS just nailed it. Agree 10,000%!

14. Trent

Aug 15, 2011
    That makes sense, Ed. I didn't meant to word it like I make her do anything, like if she doesn't carry what I say she can't carry. I should of said would you feel comfortable with her carrying one, instead of letting her carry one.

15. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I wasn't replying to you Trent.. no worries! Sorry if It sounded preachy.... I was talking to shipwreck. And again, its not to argue or offend, just relaying some stuff from personal experience.

16. Trent

Aug 15, 2011
    Well I did word it like that int he title! LOL

17. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Ed I used to be the same way. I bought many many guns hoping "one" would be the one she would carry. She never shot half of them. Sold them all. Now, she will have to pick her own and I have no problem with that. If she could carry my Benelli around she would...

[​IMG]

18. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks TKR for bringing this up...

My Wife and a few of her girlfriends just completed their CPL training class.
    I have been taking them to the range shooting and encourage professional instructions to build their
    individual skillset and confidence.
    A few of the ladies expressed desire to start with 22 caliber weapons... I thought it was a good idea to " start" with something
    you were comfortable with, and progress as your confidence and skills progressed...
    As was stated by someone previously.... I was happey my wife was okay with just carring " Something".....

19. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    I had a similar experience as EdS. I'm not surprised by her positive reaction to the 625. It just make sense that a "PUSH" and lower tone report from a big slow round fired from a pistol with weight, is FAR easier on the nervous system than a kick from a snubnose with +P loads. IMO the 624, 625, etc are THE perfect trainer for new shooters.

On to Mrs. needs here. I would suggest a wheel gun over an auto and I would like you to consider the .22Mag 7 shot S&W. If you can locate a shroud for the hammer then it can be fired from a coat pocket, purse, etc. without hanging up. She would have two more rounds than a 38 and a little more ooomph than the .22LR.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

20. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I have bought a half dozen handguns for my Mom to carry. She's 71, and has arthritic hands. Even a heavy, steel Mauser .32 had too much kick for her. She shot a Bersa .22 at the range another little old lady was shooting, and did great with it. There is no doubt in my mind she can get on target with it SO much better than any centerfire pistol. Your wife almost surely has stronger hands than my mother, but I couldn't be more comfortable if my mom carried any other pistol. She can put 10 rounds of .22 in the ring at 7 yards, while they're only CCI Stingers -it's better than missing 5 shots with her S&W Ladysmith. *I* would never carry a .22lr for self defense, but you have to be able to shoot what you carry...

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted