Would you send this back to Colt for repair or replacement?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ghostman1960, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ghostman1960

ghostman1960 New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I suppose this is due to me not inspecting the pistol at the gun shop thoroughly enough but I did not notice this until today. As you can see there is a grind mark on the bottom of the front of the slide. Would you send this back to Colt or am I being overly picky? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I'd call Colt and let them know I wanted it fixed.

3. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    Your not picky I would send it back. Quite frankly Colt has really gotten bad with their QC coming off the line either that or the standards are just relaxed on purpose.

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I would call them & request a shipping label.

5. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    That makes 3 in a row and all service men. Looks like you have your answer. LOL

6. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    It isn't rare for Colt to say, "it's in spec" on issues like this but it's worth a try. (Be thankful your dust cover is the same thickness on both sides.)

If they won't fix it, you can smooth it with sandpaper and have the slide bead blasted back to the finish on it.

7. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    Welcome to he wonderful world of current Colts. Pure crap..., but it's a railed 1911, so I'd throw a light on and make it do work.

8. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Your best bet is to contact Brent Turchi directly. He's the colt custom shop manager. Although, if you send it back they may decide to adjust slide/frame fit "to make it more reliable" I.E. loosening it. Ask me how I know.

9. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a Colt with too tight a slide to frame fit.

10. Mythree

Oct 9, 2011
    Colt CS any good?

11. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Hope their CS is better than their QC.

12. Ditto_95

Ditto_95 Why oh why? Supporting Addict

Nov 5, 2011
    I would try to send it back. You put your money down and expected a New unblemished Colt.

13. Samcro

Samcro US Army Retired 1911 Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2011
    That is a Harsh Cut I would require it to be fixed or replaced.

14. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Good Luck. I bought A New Combat Elite at a LGS last year and also missed an oops. That one took 2 trips back to Colt to get it fixed. First time they sent it back and had done NOTHING. Called Colt and spoke with Brent who also gave me the "within specs" nonsense. We had a mildly heated discussion on the phone before he backed off and agreed to fix it. He also stated he would throw "in some extras" to compensate for the 2 trips back to the factory, my time, etc. They fixed the pistol sans "the extras". Tied up a new pistol for over 2 months. I have several other Colts that have been great but the Combat Elite was a real PIA. First time at the range the white dots in the rear sight fell out. Maybe that was the "extra"; the self detaching sight dot paint. :lol: Quite frankly I like the sight picture without the dots.

My advice; if it shoots well just ignore it. It will give the pistol a little character and you won't have to wait months for Colt to screw with it. :frusty:

More advice. Next time buy a Les Baer. That's where my $$ goes these days; much better value than a Colt.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  15. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    That is so true of more 1911 makers than just Colt, but I am glad you put it out there. :thumb:

DAT85

16. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    On a new gun, I would probably lean towards having it repaired. I agree with thoughts on customer service. It is ashame these days that many places don't take pride in their own brand. If you call them on a problem and they don't really want to "deal" with it, the outcome is often bad for everyone. They may fix it but it may not be to your satisfaction or they may just tie it up so long you don't care any more. It is not just Colt (I have not dealt with them personally so I can't say good or bad) or guns for that matter. It is customer service in general. Just my $.02.

17. ghostman1960

ghostman1960 New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I have been reading on other forums that it can take Colt up to a year to get your gun back to you after they receive it. I don't have the patience for that. I am going to sell it with full disclosure to the buyer.

18. Mythree

Oct 9, 2011
    Well honestly it appears it's not just Colt, I have read horror stories from the following manufacturers - Kimber and now a guy here on this site (Granitestate) taking S&W to the wood shed. How about this: Guy on you tube (Deadhead71) want to see a tradgedy take a look at his collection of video dedicated to the debakle of trying to fix his Kimber. He sent his big $$$ Raptor back to Kimber and those boobs sent his pistol to someone else when they were done with it - sent him back a Kimber Custom like it belonged to him... WTF - this is what this Country has become - yes sir.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted