1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a hunting riffle in 6.5 creedmoor. Not locked into 6.5 but it would be my preference. I’ve looked at Montana, kimber, Christensen, but certainly open to others. Hoping to keep it under 1k but may stretch that a touch for the right riffle. thanks joe

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going deer hunting with my son. May also do a little hog hunting. I would say 300 yards at the most for now.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Buy a Winchester model 70 or Remington 700 in 270 Winchester, they go pretty cheap on the used market and most only get a couple shots a year so they aren't worn out. Put a nice 4-12 scope on it and it will get you hunting out to 400yards easily.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Savage is also low on the cost but has lots of followers putting down lots of game. Light weight is key. Lugging my beast is not ideal when looking at all the factors hunting. If you are just sitting in a blind, then you only have to carry it into and out of the blind.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Would be a waste of a Creedmoor.
Get a .308, cheaper ammo, easy to find ammo and good out to 800
May be looking at a 6.5 for reduced recoil. Wonder how 6.5 compares to 270 in recoil and ammo pricing. Never looked at 270 but there is a recent thread on 243 where OP bought a 270 in the end.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the comments! I’m not set on a caliber. I’ve looked at 308, 25-06, 257 roberts, etc,etc. The mode 7 actually caught my eye last night. I have done a lot of research but there are so many good riffles today for cheap it’s mind blowing. I appreciate craftsmanship like most of you! I’ve owned lots of high end 1911’s as well as BHP’s. I’ve settled on a Novak BHP full house. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
For a really good, relatively inexpensive rifle, take a look at Tikka and/or Bergara. I rigged out a Tikka for a friend a couple years ago, and I was really impressed with the Tikka T3 Lite (his was 308). I rigged out a Bergara in 6.5 CM for another friend a couple weeks ago, and I really liked his gun.

·
Registered
306 Posts
20191123_065144.jpg
26in Ruger M77 Hawkeye. Too heavy to run up and down the mountain then try to shoot a standing unsupported shot in the perfect kill zone without pure stubbornness (that's me). When I was humping around the woods and given the element of surprise I put the crosshairs on many animals. I love shooting this gun and it is very pretty. I had a Browning and would agree with a comment above with a TI model. To note, their action is really smooth.
20191123_144152.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Buy the Tikka and spend the surplus on better glass.

I have 5 of them and all are sub MOA guns with factory ammo.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
While I agree wholeheartedly that you should probably just look at a 700 in .308, I went with an about in 25-06 to be a bit different and love it. Not a recommendation, just a couple other options. Heard nothing but good things about Tikkas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts