WTB/LTB: Commander 9mm

Discussion in 'Want To Buy Classifieds' started by Nef, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Nef

Nef Loving this Forum ...

Mar 7, 2016
    Hey Addicts,
    I am pretty new here and to the firearms community. Been putting time into researching laws, pistol styles, calibers manufactures etc. so I could at least ask quality newbie questions. Based on my readings on this forum I feel this site has a solid community.

I am open to taking constructive re-education if I have state something that is inaccurate or not factual. Without further ado ...

I am in the market for my first pistol (firearm actually) and I have narrowed down my first choice options to the models below. If I cannot obtain any of these within my budget then I am open to alternatives.

Opt 1: DW with a Bobtail
    Opt 2: Kimber with a Bobtail (I do like the KHX OR ready)
    Opt 3: Sig P229 SAO Legion

My budget is floating between 900 - 1000. I do under this may be a tight budget but I am hoping someone may be able to or want to help out someone who is new and has chosen to exercise his 2A right so late in the game. Prices are extremely high, so I may need to pay the piper but I figured if I don't ask i wont get :) I am willing to consider ones that have blems or scratches if need be.

Thanks for reading. Stay safe and sane out there.

Nef the Newbie

isialk likes this.
  2. AGENT P

AGENT P 1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Jun 24, 2019
    DW ALL DAY LONG

ZoidMeister likes this.

3. Heavyopp

Heavyopp Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Option #1 is what I’d hold out for — A DW bobbed commander for $1000 isn’t something that doesn’t happen here in the classified — make that $1000, $1200 and you have a lot more options

Just stay alert in the classifieds — if you see something that interests you from a member that has a decent post history jump on it.
    Generaly a scam or questionable classified add get weeded out pretty quick

As with anywhere, be smart — also remember paypal is not gun friendly, if something goes wrong with a gun related purchase on paypal, they will not help you — doesn’t mean don’t use paypal, just be aware of their policy — I try to send a check whenever possible

4. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    I agree. Dan Wesson is by far the best quality.

AGENT P likes this.
  5. Nef

Mar 7, 2016
    Much appreciate the reponles so far. I will keep in mind my range and about PayPal. So much to learn.

I live in upstate NY, are there restrictions I need to be aware of? I haven’t found a site that nicely lays out firearms that shouldn’t be purchased. Been on the Safeact site, ATF, downloaded the PDF but that’s gets overwhelmed. I believe a magazine that clan hold 10 rounds is ok but I can only legally load 7?

6. rjinaz85308

rjinaz85308 North Central AZ Grasslands Supporting Addict

Jul 27, 2012
    for even less money you can get a nice Ruger LW Commander in 9mm. They make a very good pistol and their service is second to none.

7. Nef

Mar 7, 2016
    I will look into a Ruger. Based on my readings I place Ruger in the Mid level quality of 1911. But, This doesn't mean anything coming from me, I am just learning. :)

8. Heavyopp

Heavyopp Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Don’t know about your NY laws — thats on you

If you are dead set on a 9mm start buying ammo now — you can always sell it if you change your mond

Nef and Greg M. like this.
  9. Nef

Mar 7, 2016
    Makes sense. Thanks for the tip.

10. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    Yeah mags and ammo is always a good bet. Ammo is scarce unless you got some good deep pockets and don’t mind paying whatever for it.

11. Nef

Mar 7, 2016
    My Deep pockets have a hole at the bottom. I keep trying to find papers at the bottom, but I find myself going deeper and deeper empty handed. :)

Greg M. likes this.
  12. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    Lol I know the feeling. I can’t seem to find anything in mine either and as soon as I do it goes to another great addict on our fine page :D

13. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Just one thought on the Ruger option.

I started a thread on a "notable" Ruger forum regarding this very issue.

All of my Ruger SR1911's have started to accumulate freckles of rust on the stainless underneath their grips. This is happening regardless of the grip material, a variety of wood (mostly walnut) or G10 / VZ / miacarta.

This corrosion is NOT happening on any of my Springfields, my Ed Brown, or my AMT's. I have seen it on ONE Kimber, but to a much lesser degree. All of the above guns have the exact same mix of grips, are maintained exactly the same (wiped down with oil regularly and after each shooting session) and are all stored in exactly the same conditions (wiped down with oil, stored in identical gun bags in a temperature and humidity controlled cabinet).

Because of this, I have started using Alumigrips grip savers under all grips on my stainless 1911's.

Here a couple photos of what I am referencing.

YMMV.

Z

Ruger SR1911 Commander - 04.JPG

Ruger SR1911 Commander - 05.JPG

gps man likes this.
  14. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    There was a DW Pm9 that went up in the classifieds here for$1050asking price . I’d hurry up and jump on that . Mine was $1350 new and they have gone up since then . It feels as nice as any $2000 gun I’ve shot

Mudflap621 and AGENT P like this.
  15. Nef

Mar 7, 2016
    I did see that ... it is now sold!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted