1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty like the title says, looking for an RMR. I want see what all the hype is about red dots on handguns and try it out.

So if you got an extra laying around let me know or if you know somewhere that is having a good deal let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you just want to see what the hype is about, I’d recommend throwing $30-$40 or less on a NC Star unit instead of $400 on an RMR. At least until you realize that you should have bought the Leupold or Burris or Vortex or etc. in the first place. They really do make life and your targets better.

...Ron

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you just want to see what the hype is about, I’d recommend throwing $30-$40 or less on a NC Star unit instead of $400 on an RMR. At least until you realize that you should have bought the Leupold or Burris or Vortex or etc. in the first place. They really do make life and your targets better.

...Ron
Well I cut my slide for an RMR. I usually just go for it on stuff like this and if it doesn’t work out I can find another use for the RMR.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well I cut my slide for an RMR. I usually just go for it on stuff like this and if it doesn’t work out I can find another use for the RMR.
That’s a good attitude to take. I’ve been using red dot sights for quite a while. At 25 yards, 2 hands, unsupported, my reloaded ammunition, I generally keep within a 6” diameter using iron sights. That is with a flyer here and there and all rounds hitting the 8-1/2 x 11” paper. Using a Burris FF3 dot on my compensated Glock 22 it drops to 4”, and a crappy Tasco dot on a S&W SW 22 Victory on a good day I can keep it under to 3”.

IMO a dot will allow you to be a better shooter. As long as it is realized that you need to practice perfectly to get the muscle memory to an acceptable level. Perishable skill and all that.

...Ron

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I have a brand new in the box trijicon rmr rm06 type 2 3.25 MOA sitting in my safe. Paid 420 for it 2 weeks ago. I already have one on my 19 gen 5 MOS.

Make an offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

905 Posts
That just seems too bulky for me to put on the handgun I’m planning on trying it out on. Do you know of any other red dots that match up to an RMR cut?
I believe only the Holosun shares the RMR footprint.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Just started shooting pistols with red dots recently. Have had them on rifles for quite a spell. For me (on a pistol), if this a "dot only" sight, I want at least a 6 mil dot for quick acquisition. I'm shooting close targets, anyway, so a 6mil dot at 15 yds. appears to be less than 1/2" on the target. I haven't tried a smaller dot/circle combo on a pistol, but I have several of them on rifles and the circle brings my eye to the dot quickly. I'll have to give the Holoson 508T a try. Thanks, Brian.

·
The Tinker
3,378 Posts
When I shot race guns in USPSA I found the 3mm dot to be a good compromise between speed and accuracy. Especially on those darn 25 yd. head shots while moving... :eek: :D

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Just fyi...the 508T has a 2moa dot, a 32moa circle with hash Mark's like a eotech, and you can do the big circle with the dot added in the middle of it. You can toggle between all 3. Has solar panel and auto shut down/ shake awake. Also it adjusts brightness for your surroundings. It works very well, but he is correct in the video when he said he was concerned about using a white light and that it may wash out the dot. I do have to transition to irons when using the light.

·
Deo Volente
7,127 Posts
I believe only the Holosun shares the RMR footprint.
footprint.

The Holosun 507C & 407C do share the RMR footprint. I can not speak for the Holosun 508T or some of the newer models coming out. I don't know if anyone else has the same footprint.

905 Posts
footprint.

The Holosun 507C & 407C do share the RMR footprint. I can not speak for the Holosun 508T or some of the newer models coming out. I don't know if anyone else has the same footprint.
I know they share the same footprint, I was saying I’m not sure of any other options that do as well. The 508T does have a RMR footprint too

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Especially on those darn 25 yd. head shots while moving...
Mute point for me! I'd love to have your "problem". I can't even see anything at 25 yds. anymore. :D I should have taken up this stuff (pistol shooting) when I was younger, but back then red dots didn't exist!

Darn you, Brian, I'm off to find a Holosun!

·
The Tinker
3,378 Posts
Mute point for me! I'd love to have your "problem". I can't even see anything at 25 yds. anymore. :D I should have taken up this stuff (pistol shooting) when I was younger, but back then red dots didn't exist!

Darn you, Brian, I'm off to find a Holosun!
Ha! I was referring to my competition days, which were primarily in the 80s and 90s. But back then if we wanted red dots, we had to hang huge 'cans' mounted to the frames, not the compact red dots of today.

At almost 65 I'm not kidding myself into thinking I can do a moving head shot at 25 yds. A center-mass 'A' zone hit maybe. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts