1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to adjust the grip safety's spring tension, and took the old WWII mismatch that I lug around. Removed the magazine, cleared the gun, racked the slide a few times checking the usual rattle, dryfired a few rounds on suspicious pieces of furniture and light fixtures, then proceeded to disassemble the old girl.

I pulled the barrel out, laid the slide on the desk and...

WTF???????

Brown Tan Metal Beige Material property

That doesn't look right...

Check the other end?

Parallel Composite material Steel Aluminium Carbon

This one looks OK, which tells me what I'm gonna find inside. Crap.

Writing implement Stationery Office supplies Black Pen

Y'all be careful out there... ;)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Could be worse. A gun smith could have figured this out during the investigation phase of you killers trial when someone asked why you didn't shoot when you out drew some punk use with a gun.

Reactions: Philip A.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is that some kind of new FPS? :)

Sorry man..

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be worse. A gun smith could have figured this out during the investigation phase of you killers trial when someone asked why you didn't shoot when you out drew some punk use with a gun.
Exactly what went through my mind. The kind of "Oh sh..." moment that you don't want to have in the middle of an argument... Totally unpredictable. The break looks clean to the naked eye, no oxidation, I'll check more in detail at home.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Already put in a new one ("New" as in salvaged from another WWII or WWI vet...), I just happened to have one in the car :)

Threw in a new HD spring that I had. You can see from the pic that the original one shows its 70 years...

View attachment 66377
Perhaps if there are any other 70 year old springs in this gun, you may want to change them as well. :)

·
Sir Kip Esquire
11,528 Posts
Nice that work provides you with a good tear-down table!!!
That's why you should carry a backup piece,my biggest fear is someone asking me to do something while I'm cleaning a gun...
Good catch. :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perhaps if there are any other 70 year old springs in this gun, you may want to change them as well. :)
Sure will, but the only other .45 recoil springs that I have are from 1911s... Not even A1s... :cool2:

I'll have a few new springs coming this way in a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I don't really agree... This gun sat unused for decades, and doesn't have a lot of rounds on it. Steel doesn't wear out with age, but with use. And for a firing pin to break like this, it's most probably a question of subobtimal heat treatment.

Still, it's a cheap part, from a period of mass production during a war, not a semi-custom part purchased at Brownells'... No grudges held! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts