1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTK - Removing Series 80 safety from Kimber TLE II - Safe to do?

Hello Y'all! New to the forum and just picked up a Kimber TLE II and I am replacing most of the internals ie trigger, sear, disconnect, hammer, firing pin, springs with Wilson Combat parts.

So I would like to remove this and want to make sure it is safe to do?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
It's safe to do, but it is pretty hard getting the rear sight off. It seems like they weld those things on. Or you could get a series 70 firing pin, but make sure you get the right size they aren't all the same.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great to know.... Thanks for the fast reply and info!

I already have the sights off... but you are right, they were a pain to get off. Replacing them with NOVAK's anyways :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They appear to look like they will fit. Got them from Brownell's and are listed for the Kimber so hopefully they do fit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I did the same to my Kimber TLE II.

I removed the rear sight using a rear sight pusher from Ebay, took out the firing pin safety mechanism and spring, and cut down the lift bar leg that pushes the plunger up in the slide.

I did install a Wilson titanium firing pin and extra power firing pin spring.

Took me about 20 minutes to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did it help with the trigger pull? I am on the fence on whether to leave all 3 pieces in?

·
Registered
183 Posts
No, it did not affect trigger pull since the Swartz safety works off the grip safety.

I did the modification because my wife had issues when shooting my Kimber. For instance, if her grip was not firm enough to fully depress the grip safety, the hammer would fall, but the swartz safety would block the firing pin from making contact with the primer.

The trigger pull improved from fitting the Wilson lighter match trigger etc.

Good luck and let us know if you run into any issues. My sight came off easily with an "Ebay" 1911 sight pusher tool.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the detailed info :) I am going to just remove the swartz safety.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was wondering why to take out the safety at all. I see some reasons for this but can anyone give me a weapons based functional reason it would be better removed.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Weapons based functional reason
It was stated above, If the grip safety is partially depressed:
The hammer will fall but the safety will block the firing pin from hitting the primer and no bang but hammer is down!

Reactions: itsmekevin
1 - 13 of 13 Posts