XS Sights Consensus

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by MarkBailey, Jan 3, 2019.

1. MarkBailey

MarkBailey New Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Can I get some opinions on XS Sights. My eyesight is not what it once was, and I have read and heard that the XS big dot system is good for my problem. I have a new Walther PPQ .45 and this is the pistol I am currently considering trying these on. In the event I bond with them, I will be putting them on several other pistols. Any first hand experience?

41 Charlie likes this.
  2. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Hello Mark,

I have a PPQ 45 (great striker fired pistol), and I replaced my sites with the Trijicon HD Night Sights with the Orange ringed front Lamp. As a matter of fact that is my "around the hme gun", which goes with me any time I am not already carrying my 1911s.

I had considered the XS sites but tried the HD Night Sights and haven't looked back.

I mainly got them for that Orange Front Lamp, as from a point & shoot standpoint it is what works best for me. The tritium lamps are nice, for dawn or dusk, but not something I would say is a make or break for me. I like this sight set up so much I am move all my pistols over to it.

In an actual scenario, where my life or anothers is dependent on my firearm to save our lives, I would never notice the sites. Too much adrenaline and tunnel vision. That is where your muscle memory from your training kicks in and takes over.

Just my experience and .2 cents.

3. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Not for bullseye shooting, especially XS Large size as it covers quite a bit of the target.

On 1911s, XS Standard pairs up nicely with other makes rear sights with .140 opening.

[​IMG]

On some other platforms, you may only have the XS rear sight option.

4. MarkBailey

MarkBailey New Member

Jan 1, 2019
    My problem is old eyes. I would pay anything for that sight picture in the photo above. Focusing tightly on the front sight is only a bygone dream for me.

gun_fan111 likes this.
  5. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Had 'em on a Kahr MK9. Didn't hate them. Once the eyes get used to their rear sight I liked them better...

6. MarkBailey

MarkBailey New Member

Jan 1, 2019
    I have read that there is a learning curve, so I am expecting that. In the event I like them I will put them on at least 2 handguns, maybe 3. I am just trying to get an idea if they have worked for people before I start down the path. It sucks getting old.

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  7. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    I have an XS Big Dot front sight on my S&W 396NG (Night Guard) 44 Spl. revolver. The rear is a Cylinder & Slide ‘U’ notched black sight. I love this combo, for quick acquisition. Relatively accurate for 10 to 15 yards, but best for up close personal work. Give it a go, I think you’ll be pleased!

FWoo45 and Mike Meints like this.
  8. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    I tried a set a couple of years back. Used the standard size dot instead of the Big Dot. I loved the concept. On a full sized 1911 they shot low if I remember correctly. Mine also had the tritium rear. If they would have shot POI to POA I would have stuck with them.

ImperialBlade likes this.
  9. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Best course of action is a RMR. Ailing eyes benefit greatly with the red dot and nowadays it's not overly expensive to get your slide milled. Or buy an RMR milled PPQ slide already done and have one slide with a RMR and one with stock sights.
    As for XS sights, i've had them before and prefer Trijicon HD XR sights- orange front sight in particular. Nothing wrong with the XS sights, they are just BIG

Greg45acp, FWoo45 and ImperialBlade like this.
  10. MarkBailey

MarkBailey New Member

Jan 1, 2019
    The RMR almost certainly would solve my problem, but I will be carrying this PPQ in a duty holster some of the time. I know it is possible to use something like the RMR in a duty rig, but it isn't optimal, at least for my situation.

I appreciate all the replies, I am starting to lean more towards a Trijicon HD. The more traditional sight picture would suit me better I am thinking.

11. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    I love them. I have the Big Dot night sights on all my Carry/Self defense guns. Crappy eyes too. On my tack drivers/target/Varmint guns I stay with regular adjustable sights. With reading glasses. But for combat shooting the XS is the way to go. Excellent customer service also. There made in Texas so you can't go wrong. I'm might try the XS standard front sight on my Target pistols and see how they do, like walleyemonster did. Sounds like it might help. But for quick combat acquisition they can't be beat. IMHO.

41 Charlie likes this.
  12. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    First set. Always been interested but never enough to purchase them. Bought this used 21SF with them already installed - so it’ll be interesting to finally test them out.

E636F698-6D85-4C44-B08F-A40535778E38.jpeg

joerockhead and 41 Charlie like this.
  13. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    I've got them on a G19, my only poly pistol and like them. I, too, have old tired eyes and they help. As others have said definitely not for bullseye shooting.

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  14. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I have the standard XS dot on a Ruger LCR and like it better then the XS big dot on my S&W 342ti.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  15. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    I’ve got a XS dot on a little beretta Alleycat .32

It works fine for up close work

16. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    After about 50 dry fires, I can already tell I’m gonna like them.

They point very well and are easy to align very fast. I’ll put them on the timer tomorrow.

gun_fan111 and william adams like this.
  17. BigSkyGuy

BigSkyGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2018
    I love 'em! Have them on several 1911's and a couple revolvers as well.

Nothing faster in my opinion.

joerockhead likes this.
  18. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I have this same set up on my G 21 SF and I love it...

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  19. greentimber

greentimber New Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Been shooting Big Dots on carry pistols and a couple carbines for over a decade. They are extremely effective at gunfight distances and can be very accurate at longer ranges with a very little bit of work. Do a force-on-force course in limited light with Big Dots and you’ll not want to use notch/post sights again.

joerockhead likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted