Yet another "help me choose a rifle" thread by too_pure

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by too_pure, Feb 16, 2012.

1. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    So there's the .22 for my boys thread... the wood or synthetic thread... the I want to hunt thread...

And it's coming down to the wire here. I expect to be buying the rifle in the next week or two, depending how fast the IRS gets me my refund. I've spent countless hours scouring hunting forums, articles, auction sites and manufacturer's websites, Bud's, Davidson's, and on and on ad nauseum.

I had it narrowed down to a Savage or Weatherby and thought I'd be going Savage. But I went to Sportsmans Warehouse on my lunch hour today and stumbled on a good deal on the Weatherby Vanguard available in several calibers, with a pretty respectable Vortex scope for a very reasonable price.

The calibers available that I'm interested in are .270 WIN, .257 WBY, 30-06, 7mm REM, 300 WBY, and .270 WBY.

The gun will be used to hunt deer and target shooting. In Arizona, coues deer live in very rugged terrain and long shots are often needed - so I am told and have seen on TV - , but they are small as far as deer go, only 90-100 lbs. Eventually I do see myself going after mule deer and elk, hell maybe even black bear someday. I've read that you can take an elk with either of the .270's, and even with the .257. Since I'm inexperienced with shooting rifles it seems like anything starting with 300 might be overkill and just ingrain bad habits and get me flinching. I wonder about the velocity and trajectory of 30-06 for long shots, but there is no shortage of guys who say stuff like "just get a 30-06 and be done with it". And finally, something about the Weatherby calibers is seductive to me, especially if you're shooting a Weatherby rifle, so that pushes me toward the .257 and .270 WBY. I will start hand-loading it eventually so ammo cost is only a marginal consideration at best. But obviously I'm still in the decision making mode, that is until I get the money.

So one last time... if you were me, what would you choose?

2. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Something to consider:

The Weatherbys ammo is pricey, and not on every shelf- if you reload you can offset some of the cost.

The 30-06 is very common, ammo is easy to find in a variety of weights- if you reload it's cheaper to target shoot with.

If you really want to target shoot, you may end up with 2 rifles. In my mind a 223 of the same model as what you intend to hunt with is the easier way to go. All the learning and practice helps you when you take the primary rifle out to hunt with. 223 ammo is plentiful and cheaper. You can shoot 50 or 100 rds for the same cost as 20 of a larger caliber.

I wouldn't recommend a caliber........... I'm biased towards 6.5 and 7mm just because of the higher BCs. 7mm is one of your choices. I've owned 3 rifles in the caliber (7mm Rem mag), it's a bit more expensive to feed, but is a very good caliber. ^^^ note the sentence above for ways to practice cheaply.

Reloading. Something to think about.........

3. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Get .270 win. and don't look back. Ammo like the 06 is available everywhere. Magnums equal 30% more kick, 20% more powder for 5% more power. Not needed in AZ.

4. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    .270 would be my choice, it is a great cartridge. It has some heavier 150 grain bullets that penetrate deep for the bear hunting, and normal 130 grain bullets give great ballistics and stopping power. You can just use the heavier constructed bullets like the all copper variety or Nosler Partition, Winchester XP3 for the elk hunting. Recoil is middle of the road for most people. It is not something I want to just sit around and shoot all day like a 223, but it doesn't bother me for longer sighting in range trips. There is a bunch of factory ammunition available out there. It would be great for longer shots on the deer without having to step up to magnum recoil, which I dislike and tend not to be as confident with because I don't enjoy practicing with it.

5. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Now... if I was to recommend a caliber, it would be .280 :biggrin1:

Which can equal pretty much the 7mm mag without the recoil, outshoot the .270 and 30-06....:peep:

:biggrin1: this thread should turn interesting shortly.

6. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
  7. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    A .270 would be my recommendation based upon your listed wants/needs.
    Look into a Tikka T3

8. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    The tikka is an excellent rifle. My favorite rifle by far is the win. Model-70 in .270. Check into Hornady super performance ammo. They list the 130gr. at 3200 fps. This is all you need for your hunting. I have hunted AZ and killed 2 coues bucks and 1 mule deer along with scores of jackrabbits with a .270. Can't go wrong.

9. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    A classic Winchester model 30 would be a great choice!
    My FN SPRa1 has a Winchester action,........love it!
    Even more so than the Remington 700s I've had.

10. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_rugged_vs_refined.htm

The Vanguard is over a hundred bucks less than the best price I've been able to find on the Tikka. Sounds to be a great rifle, on par with the Vanguard.

Almost any hunting rifle related Internet search puts something from Chuck Hawks. Lots of good information there.

11. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    If you go with the 270, look on GB. The Tikkas and Vanguards are pretty close in price. There are some Winchesters that are right in there also. 270s are pretty common, if you sit and wait, a nice one will come along for the right price.

This Remington would be a good hunting rifle, too light a barrel for target- unless you really let it cool between shots, and don't get it too warm. If you can read the serial number, you can call Remington and find out the build date and twist rate of the barrel.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273732826

Some Walmarts have a special order program for firearms, they may or may not be able to beat dealer/GB prices. It's worth looking into. I remember when Tikkas first became available there, I picked up one in .243 for less than $450 out the door.

12. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    The Thompson Center Venture has been getting excellent reviews on accuracy since its inception. I prefer my Browning X Bolts and A Bolts, but they are a bit pricier. I really enjoy the tang safety on the Brownings, and I see more companies are going back to them, I think the new Ruger rifle has a tang safety again. Their old 77's had them, but went to the thumb safety years ago.

13. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    It is done. Picked up the Vanguard S2 in .257 WM tonight. And a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50 scope, a bipod, a chronograph, a case, and two boxes of 120 gr partition for sighting in. It's like Christmas in February.

14. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    pics man, pics....

15. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Once I get the scope mounted...

16. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Interesting choice,.......the .257 WM is said to be a great cartridge!
    Is the scope mounted yet?

17. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
  18. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    Congrats tp. Those coues deer had better look out as you got the gun to reach out and touch them for sure. Sight it in at 20 yds to start and see what adjustments you need to make. 2 1/2" high at 100 yds. and you should be able to hold on out to 350 yds+. and never be more than 2 1/2" high or 6" low.

19. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Well you picked a caliber totally off subject, nice!

20. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Got the scope mounted tonight. So I get home and put the bolt in, and I can't get the lever to lock all the way down. I think it's more likely I don't know what I'm doing than something being wrong with the gun, so I'm asking. Any ideas?

And here's a crummy phone pic before I put the bolt in.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330149750.936199.jpg

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted