1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You’ve acquired a broad collection of items that fill specific niches within your obsession, but to outsiders they all appear to be multiple examples of the same thing.
It doesn’t matter the hobby. Whether firearms, Martin guitars, violins, fountain pens, thimbles.....whatever.

I have a friend who collects Civil War Era Southern pottery. He has spent many years accumulating works from various regions and historic makers. He can take you on a tour through the many examples in his vast collection.
But to me, it all just looks like walls of Granny Clampett’s moonshine jugs. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
My wife still finds herself saying "But that looks just like four(or some other arbitrary number) other guns you already own!". To her credit, she's a shooter but not to the degree I am and now when she makes that comment and sees the look on my face she will pause and then say "OK. What's special about this one?" before saying something like "That's really nice. No. Now go away kid, you're botherin' me"(in her best W.C. Fields voice).

How many DW's, WC's, NHC's, Colt's, etc. does one man need? I haven't found the answer and anyone claiming they know the answer is no proper Addict at all, unless the answer is "Every single one.". I have what is left of a huge baseball card collection from my younger years. I have two Johnny Bench rookie cards. One is in exceptional condition and the other is not. I have several Mickey Mantle cards. My '57 is much more valuable than my '68, but they are both Mickey Mantle cards. I have no affinity for Civil War pottery, but I entirely understand what drives him and every little niche category like that helps keep history alive.

But my guns are way cooler than any of that other BS so those dude's are squares. Especially the nerd with the baseball cards.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have eight or nine 1911s. Every once in a while my wife will see me handling or cleaning one, she will say "is that new". I caught on real early that she can't tell the difference between a Kimber and a Wilson, but she keeps asking. It is her way of trapping me to take her out on a shoe or boot or clothes shopping spree. According to me I haven't gotten anything new in years, just the same old ones.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I used to share your point of view before the great boating accident of November 2020 took ALL my firearms.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I love the chase. I love going into town & checking out the local Pawn & gun shops for something new & interesting. Just this week it was an S&W 19-4 4" & a CZ SP01 Tactical that someone did a trigger job to.

As far as 1911's go, I'm pretty set. There's only a few I'd be interested in if I saw something locally. I walked away from a display case of ACW's yesterday. Probably 7 different variations, but nothing I really wanted. I've already got plenty of Gov. 45's, dress-up carry pieces, & nice everyday 9mm's single & double stacks.

But I'm always open to what I might find on my journey.

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
825 Posts
When you find expensive firearms from top shelf gunsmiths in one of your safes that you forgot you even owned....

YOU know who I'm talking to....

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I love the chase. I love going into town & checking out the local Pawn & gun shops for something new & interesting. Just this week it was an S&W 19-4 4" & a CZ SP01 Tactical that someone did a trigger job to.

As far as 1911's go, I'm pretty set. There's only a few I'd be interested in if I saw something locally. I walked away from a display case of ACW's yesterday. Probably 7 different variations, but nothing I really wanted. I've already got plenty of Gov. 45's, dress-up carry pieces, & nice everyday 9mm's single & double stacks.

I agree except for the "As far as 1911's go, I'm pretty set.". I don't get that part at all. I have more 1911's than fingers and I'm not halfway there! When I have a gun shipped to an FFL I know that I will probably bring another gun home as well. My last one was pretty small. I was picking up an STI Tactical Single Stack 4.0 in 9mm and they had a stainless Ruger Single Six .22lr made in 1975 for $400. I knew it was going home with me, but when I handled it I spotted that it was a "Star" marked gun(meaning it was only built with one cylinder rather than a .22lr/.22mag convertible) which adds a slight value and cool factor for Ruger nerds. Then when I bought it they even had the original matching box, though not in the best condition.

I'm trying very hard to live up to promises I made as I grow closer to my first full custom early next year. I know I'm an Addict because that one won't even get spec'ed and quoted until January or so and I'm already thinking of the next one. I'm not being too ridiculous, because I have two kids and one for each of them is something I'm serious about doing and I want them to have them before I'm dead or an old man. So, I actually need three full customs, one for me and each child. And one for my wife. If that logic isn't rock solid, I don't think this forum is for you.

·
Registered
168 Posts

A 4” 357 is a wonderful thing.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
My wife still finds herself saying "But that looks just like four(or some other arbitrary number) other guns you already own!". To her credit, she's a shooter but not to the degree I am and now when she makes that comment and sees the look on my face she will pause and then say "OK. What's special about this one?" before saying something like "That's really nice. No. Now go away kid, you're botherin' me"(in her best W.C. Fields voice).

How many DW's, WC's, NHC's, Colt's, etc. does one man need? I haven't found the answer and anyone claiming they know the answer is no proper Addict at all, unless the answer is "Every single one.". I have what is left of a huge baseball card collection from my younger years. I have two Johnny Bench rookie cards. One is in exceptional condition and the other is not. I have several Mickey Mantle cards. My '57 is much more valuable than my '68, but they are both Mickey Mantle cards. I have no affinity for Civil War pottery, but I entirely understand what drives him and every little niche category like that helps keep history alive.

But my guns are way cooler than any of that other BS so those dude's are squares. Especially the nerd with the baseball cards.
No pottery for me, Civil War firearms? There was a time. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
When you are constantly checking the online buy sites for that Holy Grail. And once you get it, you continue looking for the next one.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A 4” 357 is a wonderful thing.
It sure it's. I kept passing up 4" 19's when I saw them, but I figured it was time to get one in the safe. I use to have an awesome 2 1/2" 19, but I let my ex-wife claim it during the divorce since her brother got it for me. One of the best actions of any K I've owned. And I don't think I've seen another 2 1/2" out in the wild since than. 🙁

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I have a 2 1/2" I bought a lonnnnng time ago. The action is pretty nice. Don't know why I keep it as I only carry 1911s and a BHP now. The same goes for an old model-36 that no longer gets carried.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a 2 1/2" I bought a lonnnnng time ago. The action is pretty nice. Don't know why I keep it as I only carry 1911s and a BHP now. The same goes for an old model-36 that no longer gets carried.
Because the minute you sell it, you'll regret it. And start looking for one to replace it.

At least that's how I am with certain guns. Some guns I haven't shot in a year or two, but keep them anyway. I know the minute I get rid of it, I'll be on the hunt again. I've had the same make & model pass through my hands several times over the years.

I'd like to think I know better know, but I'm probably about to buy my third Staccato P. Wish I'd just kept my first one.

And some guns are just "nostalgia guns" that remind us of a certain time & place in history.
One of the first off-duty guns I bought in the early 90's was a model 36. I rarely carried it, but I still remember when I went to qualify with it and when it got ankled carried a few times. I currently don't own a 36, but wish I did. And it would probably never get carried. But I still want another - "nostalgia gun".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts