1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, have really been loving the forum and the classifieds have caused me to consider a second mortgage.

I have a nice Dan Wesson TCP, beautiful fit and finish in .45 and just bought a Colt Wiley Clapp Commander in 9mm, love the weight/size, etc. but it is very loose (seller was very clear on this, no bad blood there, beaver tail rattles like a snake). Both are very low mileage. So I like the Commander size/profile, etc. question is???

Do I send the Colt to Knighthawk for some work or sell both and go for a nice Commander ready to go off the forum? (Really liking 9mm out of the 1911 platform, forgive me in advance for not saying .45, which I love out of government size piece).

All responses appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Is Knighthawk the black ops team at Berryville? If so I gotta send me a gun there... I have a WC full size and felt the same as you. I really like the roll markings on it and love the Pete single checkering. Mine is currently at Nighthawk being chopped up. If you have any questions, would like suggestions, etc feel free to PM me. The other advantage of this route obviously is thatyou can make it exactly how you want it.

If you don’t care about having a colt in the stable and don’t care Much about obtaining certain features etc then I would say sell em and find yourself a nice semi custom commander on here

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
No
Calling the Zoidmeister?
Not sure that I have the proper expertise to effectively respond, mostly because I seldom understand the question.

In this case I have zero experience sending guns off to manufacturers for upgrades or customization. All of my "improvements" are done by this guy.

Text Line Font

·
Never Forget
9,383 Posts
There a are ton of guns in the classifieds that would suit you I'm sure. Though having a gun worked on is a viable option as well. My only advice is to start out with a gun that you really like more than others and then send it in. Or just buy what you want out right. Sometimes it takes much trial and error to figure these details out. I've spent years and a bunch of money and time figuring out what I really like. Tastes change, that's for sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Tough call given a lot of REALLY nice choices in the classifieds at great prices. I’ve been torn trying to make the same decision. If you know what you like (trigger, sights, finish) sending out your Wiley might work best, but probably cost as much or more than a used custom/semi-custom. Tweaking a semi-custom might get better results. Like Raylan said, figuring out what you like is a deep rabbit hole. FYI, you can fix a lot of the Colt rattle by tweaking the sear spring.

·
born in the wrong century
5,878 Posts
Alright, have really been loving the forum and the classifieds have caused me to consider a second mortgage.

I have a nice Dan Wesson TCP, beautiful fit and finish in .45 and just bought a Colt Wiley Clapp Commander in 9mm, love the weight/size, etc. but it is very loose (seller was very clear on this, no bad blood there, beaver tail rattles like a snake). Both are very low mileage. So I like the Commander size/profile, etc. question is???

Do I send the Colt to Knighthawk for some work or sell both and go for a nice Commander ready to go off the forum? (Really liking 9mm out of the 1911 platform, forgive me in advance for not saying .45, which I love out of government size piece).

All responses appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to be a never ending supply of guns sold on the forum.

Guys buy them....say they even drool over them.....shoot a box of bullets through them and then flip them on the forum.

I don't understand the process......but it's a mutually beneficial cycle among The Addicts.... of "buy, drool, sell, buy, drool, sell.......".

Only you know what it is you want and if once you get it...you'll be happy enough with it it to keep it.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I like Commanders for carry and they behave well for the intended purpose.
Buy the best you can afford
or as I do "rebuild what you have, into what you want!"

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I bought a Colt/Talo Clapp Commander back in 2013. The fit and finish are great on it. Of course it was the third one I looked at. I passed on the first two. Also in that time frame they did have the FCS on the slide.

My one frustration is finding more grips. My hand is fine with the grips but they take a hit on any carry handgun. I called Colt and they did not sale them. I was pretty sure Altamont made them and called Altamont. They told me they did not sell new ones but sold their blems on and production over runs on Ebay. Anway my solution was to go with some Colt hard rubber grips with normal length grip screws. The hard rubber is thicker in the screw area and acts like an "O" ring so the screws do not back out.

I was able to order more of the large grip screws for the original grips off the Colt website back when they sold parts there.

·
14,799 Posts
I bought a Colt/Talo Clapp Commander back in 2013. The fit and finish are great on it. Of course it was the third one I looked at. I passed on the first two. Also in that time frame they did have the FCS on the slide.

My one frustration is finding more grips. My hand is fine with the grips but they take a hit on any carry handgun. I called Colt and they did not sale them. I was pretty sure Altamont made them and called Altamont. They told me they did not sell new ones but sold their blems on and production over runs on Ebay. Anway my solution was to go with some Colt hard rubber grips with normal length grip screws. The hard rubber is thicker in the screw area and acts like an "O" ring so the screws do not back out.

I was able to order more of the large grip screws for the original grips off the Colt website back when they sold parts there.

Dakota,

I have been looking for a set of grips exactly like the hard rubber set you have pictured. I'm not sure I know where you said that you found those. Any chance that you could PM me the source?

I would be eternally grateful. I thought I found some, but they turned out to be hard plastic and too shiny for my liking. I will probably do a giveaway on them when I find a set that I am looking for.

Z

·
Double Secret Banned
2,171 Posts
Dakota,

I have been looking for a set of grips exactly like the hard rubber set you have pictured. I'm not sure I know where you said that you found those. Any chance that you could PM me the source?

I would be eternally grateful. I thought I found some, but they turned out to be hard plastic and too shiny for my liking. I will probably do a giveaway on them when I find a set that I am looking for.

Z
I may have a set of those lounging away in my grips ammo can.

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
14,799 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts