close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Your Favorite Caliber?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeorgiaRedfish, Aug 31, 2011.

1. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Neighborhood kitty snuff yard

Aug 19, 2011
    So if you could design the 1911 around any caliber which would it be? Do no have a favorite seeing little difference between them? Or do you see 8rds of big ol' .45s more appealing than 10rds of 9mm? Or do you like the higher capacity of 9mm? I really don't see a big enough difference in performance in handgun calibers to really care about size. I like 9mm, I believe you can load it hot enough to be very effective, and it's cheap to shoot and you can fit more in a gun. What are your thoughts? I'm not trying to start a debate here, just I know we all have our preferences and I thought it would be fun.:biggrin1:

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    A 9mm is pretty nice on a full size. But a 38Super is just awesome!

41 Charlie likes this.

3. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    I bet, but unless I get into reloading.....no thanks. What caliber is your HD gun?

4. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    All of my 1911s are 45ACP. I want to get a 9mm next.

5. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    I am either going to go 10 or 9mm. 10mm because I wouldn't mind hog hunting, plus it is only 1 rd less than a 9mm 1911.

6. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    I shot a Kimber in 10mm the other day that really made me rethink that caliber..actually preferred shooting it over my wife's Delta..

7. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    I need to shoot one, if I want a gun to hunt and something for HD/CC, the 10mm seems to fit the bill. I just like 9mm's cap. and price :grin:

Also Cerebrus, it might have something to do with kimber's recoil spring vs colt's DE dual recoil spring.

8. Gunshine

Gunshine New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I don't have a problem with any of the calibers mentioned. But I prefer the .45. Only because as someone once said. " If you're gonna make a hole might as well be a big one".

9. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    .38 Super, baby!!! My favorite caliber by far!!

41 Charlie likes this.
  10. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    My favorite caliber that I own/have owned would be 9mm. BUT I would pick a 10mm. over anything if I could only have one caliber for the rest of my life.

11. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    I put a Wolff set in the Delta.. the Kimber was just smoother.. also it had their version of the bobtail on it.. it was just a pure pleasure to shoot.. if I had the coin I would not hesitate to buy one..

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    45ACP without question. I like everything about a 45ACP. It's big, easy to handle, easy to load magazines, you can easily find one in your front pocket and everyone knows when they see a 45ACP round there's a 1911 near by. It's easy enough to shoot in a 1911 platform and powerful enough for HD/SD. The 45ACP has nostalgia about it that just jumps out at you. It conjures up images of landing craft, beaches, etc.. It is the 1911...

I have branched out and have one 9mm 1911. It's fun to shoot and I'm having it optimized for range fun, but I consider it a novelty really.. JMO.. Ron

13. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I would say a 9mm, but I am simply cheap.

If I was not factoring cash I would go .45.

14. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    9mm. Cheap to shoot and effective as an SD round. I've shot enough animals to verify in my mind that .45 isn't big enough or powerful enough to make up for a bad shot and a well placed 9mn is just as effective as a .45 when it comes to getting the result I wanted.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  15. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    .45GAP :rofl:

I like 9mm

16. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Just say NO to GAP! LOL.. Ron

17. wade-19

wade-19 Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aug 17, 2011
    9mm . I like shooting 10mm, but I don't reload so I'm not buying one.

18. Isom93

Isom93 Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm not sure I can pick with so many great calibers out there. It's like asking me to pick a favorite from among my children. :Cry:

19. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Another fan of the 9mm for the range, but prefer carrying the 45.

20. Isom93

Isom93 Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Alright, strictly from a semi-auto perspective I can narrow it down to two; .45 ACP and 9x23 Win. .I love the .38 Super, 9mm, and 10mm too, but if I had to narrow my preference down to only then those three all get bumped for various reasons.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted