Your Suggestion For 1911 10mm Carry Pistol

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by CW4RETIRED, May 7, 2019.

1. CW4RETIRED

CW4RETIRED Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Trying to decide which 1911 in 10mm to add to my CCW inventory. I have owned and shot the Glock 20SF but like most Glock's the ergonomics of grip size and grip angle was a challenge for me. Glocks are great guns, but as a dinosaur from the "olden days" in the military, I keep coming back to the 1911 platform as it works best for me.

What are your top 3 suggestions for full-size 1911 in 10mm for concealed carry? Reliability is the most important criteria. Cost is a consideration, but will postpone the purchase until I raise the funds if need be. Thanks.

Dub and simonp like this.
  2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    IMG_0307.JPG My Colt Delta runs great. I have always gotten reliable guns from Colt, right out of the box. If you want/ need a more polished gun then there are others of course.

switchback, Dub, 41 Charlie and 7 others like this.

3. CW4RETIRED

CW4RETIRED Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Thanks for the input Old Sea Dragon. That's a nice looking gun. I've been eyeballing this one on Big Daddy Unlimited and did a little research on them. What changes have they made since coming out with the original? Also, have you discovered any SD ammo (hollow points) that may not reliably feed? Sounds like a good solid gun. I'm not into all the fluff and extra expense of cosmetic enhancements some other models have. I just want something I can reliably protect myself and others with and fits me ergonomically.

Dub and UBOATDOC like this.
  4. Novak77

Novak77 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2019
    I live in California, so unfortunately all 10mm 1911's are unobtainium. If I did live out of state I'd want to check out one of Springfield's TRP's in 10mm.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-trp-10mm/

I've got a major soft spot for SA's 1911's and to me the TRP is a lot of bang for the buck.

Also +1 for the Delta Elite, the few I've got to handle and shoot were freaking awesome. My old man had one years ago and I wish he never let it go.

Dub, simonp and CW4RETIRED like this.
  5. CW4RETIRED

CW4RETIRED Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Thanks Novak. I'll take a look at the SA 1911 TRP. I've always had good luck with SA pistols also, but have not owned any of their 1911s.

Dub and Novak77 like this.
  6. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    At a lower price point Springfield has a RO Elite in 10mm now that looks good. TRP's are very nice guns. I have not shot any hollow points out of my Delta yet but have put a case of Remington, as well as some Armscor. Colt upgraded to Novak sights, and their dual recoil spring setup. There may have been other changes as well.

Dub, Fatbob Frank, CW4RETIRED and 2 others like this.
  7. CampWolf

CampWolf Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I realize it’s not a Colt or other higher end gun bu I am extremely happy with my Rock Island 1911 10mm. It’s easy to carry and shoot and very accurate.

Dub, Old Sea Dragon and CW4RETIRED like this.
  8. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Yeah the SA Range Officer Elite is a good decently priced gun. I have a Ruger that has turned out pretty good, and both are under $1k in price.

Dub and CW4RETIRED like this.
  9. Parausa

Parausa Active Member

Apr 7, 2019
    My Delta Elite has fed FMJ & JHP reliably. The things I read about the design having no feed ramp and the case not having full support raise questions but no problems to date.

Just picked up a used Nighthawk Predator 10mm & all I can say is WOW! Worth every penny if you can work it out. The flanged barrel certainly has a positive effect on recoil management.

Dub, Old Sea Dragon and CW4RETIRED like this.
  10. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    I just picked up a Govt 10mm TRP and like it well enough so far.

Dub, simonp, CW4RETIRED and 1 other person like this.
  11. bvbarry50

bvbarry50 Sarg.

Oct 11, 2018
    A good buddy has a Dan Wesson stainless 10mm 1911 with a 5" barrel he really likes. He doesnt buy or like cheap crap and has 3-4 Dan Wessons he really likes.
    I had the chance to shoot it with fairly hot loads for bear and it was a lot of fun.
    Of course I enjoyed shooting his single action 475 Linebaugh pushing 400 gr hardcasts around 1400 fps as well.

CW4RETIRED likes this.
  12. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I actually have a STI 2011 Nitro 10 for sale if you’re interested. Great gun.

Guy Montag, FWoo45, TexasBB and 2 others like this.
  13. Parausa

Parausa Active Member

Apr 7, 2019
    STI Nitro 10 2011 is another awesome option for sure!

CW4RETIRED likes this.
  14. CW4RETIRED

CW4RETIRED Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Thanks Descartian, but I think the STI is double stack. Is that right? My hands just fit better on the single stack 1911s.

15. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    It is a double stack but it has the STI Costa grip that has been worked over by Extreme Shooters. Its a night and day difference and is very comfortable. It’s only about 1/8” larger in circumference than a 1911 with standard size grip panels. My 5’5” 120lb wife carries and shoots double stacks.

CW4RETIRED likes this.
  16. CW4RETIRED

CW4RETIRED Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Thanks again, Descartian. Honestly, I do like the option of increased capacity. I think one of our local gun stores may have one in stock. If so, I'll check out the ergonomics and I'll definitely keep yours in mind. My main purpose will be CCW. What kind of holsters do you use?

17. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Whatever they have make sure it has an Extreme Shooters grip. It truly a night and day difference.

I’m a big fan of Garrett Industries leather lined kydex. The wife and I have over a dozen of their holsters for IWB & OWB carry. I have some full leather holsters but I rarely ever use them.

Also here is a thread covering a good deal of holster makers for STI’s. https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=916354

Dub, SCS1911 and CW4RETIRED like this.
  18. CW4RETIRED

CW4RETIRED Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Thanks for the input CampWolf. I've read some pretty good things about the Rock Island too.

19. CW4RETIRED

CW4RETIRED Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Excellent. Thank you.

20. CW4RETIRED

CW4RETIRED Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Wow! The Nighthawk would be a dream gun. Not sure how much of the talk about the need for a feed ramp & unsupported chamber is warranted. Still looking for examples of failures on the internet. Also wondering if those concerns are more related to private owner reloads rather than factory ammo.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted