Your take on the 1911 market...

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Metaloy, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Just thinking that right now the 1911 market is good...VERY good for some. It has been for a few years now. We've seen the exotic, the plain jane, the 'retro' and most everything else in the last 100 years.

Do you think the 1911 market is stagnate in that we've done all there is to do to a 1911? Do we need to do more? Your thoughts please.

2. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm an average 1911 guy. My opinion is that since the custom smiths have found a way to shoot sub 1" groups that there isn't much more that can be done internally. Externally, cosmetically speaking, the sky is the limit for some based on what I have seen.

I believe the market is as active as ever. The influx of production models from overseas has spiked a new interest because more people can afford a 1911, regardless of quality. They are being introduced to the platform and may possibly decide one day to upgrade.

The state of the 1911 market is good.

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Due to the 100 year anniversary, this past year has seen a wide selection of 1911s in the market. There have been some crazy builders appearing out of nowhere, charging ridiculous prices for their "customs" 1911s. On the opposite end of the spectrum, there have been some REALLY nice custom guns coming out of shops that are just AMAZING.

The design of a 1911 is just timeless. The gun's function is simple. But what I'm excited about and passionate about are the art pieces that are being produce by top smiths.

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Seems one of the ICONIC polymer pistols has had a ton of bad press over failures.
    This, as well as the 100th anniversary, had led to a resurgance in the 1911 market.
    1911 manufacturers are also at the pinnacle of quality vs cost.

Think of a 1967 Jaguar XKE,......new production!

5. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I agree. There are some real nice production guns out there but totally hand built 1911's mainly Colts are REALLY where it is at in my book. Always has been. THOSE are the ones that will REALLY hold and gain value. A true Colt built by top tier custom smiths with perfect work is a combination that is heads above the rest.

6. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Do you think we will see honestly "better" stuff or more of the same thing just different colors??

7. zaskar017

zaskar017 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I think there needs to be one or two manufactures that build a classic looking pistol (vertical slide serrations) but with a blued finish and no firing pin blocks.
    Colt doesn't keep up with their 70 series repros, and the WWI repros are no longer manufactured. So who is left? No one.
    Everything out of the Philippines in parked, SA GIs are parked, Remingtons have a firing pin block.
    You are forced to buy used or build your own

8. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    It seems only natural for the 100th Anniversary to be a market crescendo followed by a correction. As the economy continues to deteriorate more people will be forced to settle for low end guns just as the market has driven shooters toward smaller calibers due to cost. At the other end of the spectrum, I think the .460 Rowland could do for the 1911 what the 44Mag did for the N frame. Wilson has a 5.5" heavy barrel Hunter. It seems like others would compete for that market. The cost of the ammo should come down as more ammo makers ad it to their line up. Just what I see from my foggy little porthole.

9. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    From my perspective, things are going great!
    Yes the economy is in the terlet and the average Joe has less expendable income
    than just a few years ago. But the high rollers still have plenty of money for new toys.
    Look at the price of a true, full-house custom (8k) vs a new, well-equipped pick-up (48k).
    The pick-up will be in a junkyard in 15 years, the custom 1911 will be passed down for generations.
    And consider how much many of the high rollers have lost in the stock market. When you lose
    250k, spending 8k on a custom is small potatoes.

10. Nyack1911

Nyack1911 1911 addict

Sep 20, 2011
    i think this hot market will continue to expand.the major factor is the price point on low end 1911's make it possible for all the plastic gun guys to try a 1911 trigger. once that is experienced the higher priced guns become interesting/addicting. wilson didn't add new smiths because they saw a down turn in sales coming.i have also noticed a trend in buyers trying more than one of a wilson,nighthawk,ed brown,les baer or guncrafters.(and all these high end sales in a tanked economy.):wink:

11. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I have to agree. Our summer has been absolutely bonkers busy. Record months. Very thankful for it.

12. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Another thing is we have had a lot of individuals and FFL's come from 'other platers' saying they are sick of other platers doing crap work and losing parts.

13. newt

newt Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    I agree with people above. I also think that the 1911 is often an expert's and an enthusiast's pistol (by market segmentation). I think we're seeing a good growth of people in both of those segments (although often there's an overlap there). But with the growth of gun ownership, new market segments (like woman), the growth of GOOD (and I suppose bad) training schools and awareness of training by the shooting community, we're seeing the perfect opportunity for the the market of 1911's focused on those segments. We're also seeing 1911's well focused on that market, "semi-custom" (not trying to restart that argument) that are focused in those segments like Nighthawk, Guncrafter, Brown, and high end customs focused on one or both of those segments, and the market seems to me to be good in both supply and demand.

14. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Again I agree. I was thinking that when Ruger came out with their 1911...I thought "boy are they way late." I guess they are somewhat but they will sell the crap out of theirs as well.

15. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Incomplete list of 1911 manufacturers...

Ruger
    SIG
    S&W
    Kimber
    Rock Island
    Citadel
    Cabot?
    Wilson
    NH
    Ed Brown
    Taurus
    C&S
    Briley
    Springfield, Inc.
    Remington
    BarSto Precision-2011's
    STI
    Guncrafter
    Detonics
    Dan Wesson/CZ
    Thompson/Kahr
    Fusion
    Colt
    Para Ord
    Les Baer
    Caspian
    Desert Eagle
    Cimmaron
    High Standard
    Essex
    Norinco
    Christensen Arms
    ATI
    Iver Johnson
    Charles Daly
    AMT
    Ithaca
    Chiappa Firearms

I cannot believe it...38 different man. of 1911's. WOW!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  16. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    371 out the door blued
    [​IMG]

318 out the door blued
    [​IMG]

17. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Its as good right now as its ever been and probably better.

18. zaskar017

zaskar017 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    That is pretty far from traditional, but I will admit I forgot about Metro Arms
    I still say there should be more models available similar to the GIs but with better sights

19. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011

I LOVE the emphasis on CABOT! :animlol:

DAT85

Badabing11 likes this.
  20. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    my take on the 1911 market:

The market is primed and ready for anyone that can or already is, producing a 1911 that can attain a high level of initial quality. Initial, and repeatable, high quality for their day-to-production. Not semi-custom, or custom, just plain old production guns. I think if someone would start to look these things over for obvious cosmetic issues, function check them for proper and safe operation, flick the safety on/off (cough cough, Springfield Armory).
    It'd be negligible cost and could be offset by all the free shipping they're doing back and forth to fix their obvious screwups.

If I was making a 1911, I could seize the market on that alone.

Badabing11 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted