Your thoughts on Novak no grip safety and mod thumb safety

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by CD0311, Jan 17, 2012.

1. CD0311

CD0311 New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I was just looking at some of my old mags and re-ran in to the article on the Novak with no grip safety and mod thumb safety.
    I like the Idea of locking the slide with the thumb safety on but never had an issue with it safety or not. As far as the grip safety I can only remember having one failure to activate. It was my first time shooting an 11 (kimber) during an IDPA match and I was only familiar with them, when I drew I didn't activate the grip safey...anyway I was just wondering what the thoughts here were..

If this is a re-post I apologize I searched and didn't find anything

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Novak calls it "The Answer"
    The one piece MSH/GS is not available for sale, but Novak offers it
    as a package. Cost is around $750 if I remeber correctly.

Many have pinned a GS in the past, this may be a better option, certainly is cheaper.

3. CD0311

CD0311 New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    ..ah that's it. I tried to post a link but I couldn't open it.

...after that one issue I purchased my 1911 and practiced everyday for a couple of weeks, no problems since then.

4. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    I remember seeing a pic of a Texas Ranger's 1911, may have been Chied Crowder's.
    It had ivory grips and a leather thong securing the GS, love that pic!

5. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Another option would to desensitize the grip safety to be less active.

6. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Would love to see that pic.

7. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
  8. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Yep,.....Charlie Miller's

9. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    pretty wild looking.

10. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I give "The Answer" a big plus 1. I went with it on my Novak build and wish all my 1911's had one. I personally hate grip safeties, and while I've only had issues with certain brands not engaging/feeling how I like (even after filing), it's nice to know you'll never have to worry about a pistol not functioning due to a GS.

No idea on their TS mod, it seems nice but wasn't for me.

[​IMG]

11. sheepdog

sheepdog New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Same here. Guess that is the one thing I don't really like about 1911s, having to worry about the grip safety. My grip pulls my hand away from it when I hold it as high as I like. When I shot IDPA with a 1911 (rules do not let you pin/disable a safety, like on my CARRY GUN), I had some miscues because of my failure to get it depressed, even though I thought I had it adjusted just right. I took too much metal off of one or two trying to get it just right, and had to have one welded up that somebody else had taken too much off of on another gun. I would like to have a gun without one...but no danger of me being able to afford that set-up any time soon. As to the thumb safety, I might learn to like it even it it is non-traditional.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  12. Rana

Rana Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Novaks "Answer"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have never really had a problem with a standard grip safety; the Novaks Mod definetly feels a lot smaller in the hand however.

13. Eric

Eric Cav Troopers Dad

Sep 10, 2011
    Rana that is a nice looking Commander.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted