Yup...a .40 Open top for my G35

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by zipper046, Dec 9, 2018.

1. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Yup!!! I did it....built an Open Class "swap top" for my Limited G35. I had a spare G22 slide I bought years ago....installed a Lone Wolf threaded barrel, a Carver .40 comp, a C-More STS red dot I bought when red dots first came into the world, and a JP Enterprises slide racker (that is 1 piece and replaces the slide plate....very cool).

I ran it in our Steel Challenge last week....came in 3rd out of 12 shooters....first time running a "dot" after I sighted it in. It definitely is DIFFERENT! That little red dot sure bounces around! LOL. Had a blast.

So now I have a Limited and Open gun in 1 platform....slide off the Iron sight limited upper....slide on the Open upper and PRESTO! I'm in Open. Slide that off and slide back on the iron sight upper and PRESTO! I'm back in Limited. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

Oh...and this rig has a Glocktrigger.com "The Edge" trigger system with some "tweaks"...awesome trigger, and that's from alot of 1911/2011 guys! LOL. Stipple job and trigger undercut was done by me a while back...was my first foray into stippling....

open1.JPG open2.JPG open3.JPG open4.JPG

awp101, Kip, JNW and 1 other person like this.
  2. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    That looks great....
    QUESTION …..??? ( no laughing please ) lol !!
    How did you get the Grip Black after you stippled it on a OD frame ?
    I have a G 17 in OD that I would love to do the same thing to ???

3. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Good question! I actually sanded down the grip panels a bit to give me an even surface to start with, then just stippled it. The black underneath raised up nicely over the OD green. Also, when I stippled it, I overlayed the pattern a bit...that insured the black raised up.

4. joerockhead

Oct 12, 2011
    Awesome ..
    Thanks....
    and a GREAT STIPPLE job to boot !!

5. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    a couple better pics with light...it's super aggressive...
    g35 stipple4.JPG g35 stipple3.JPG g35 stipple2.JPG g35 stipple1.JPG

awp101 and joerockhead like this.
  6. joerockhead

Oct 12, 2011
    I like it...
    I hesitated trying it on mine since I thought the green would blend with the black and be muddied up.. that's why I asked... I thought perhaps you applied a finish to the black grip area...

Congradts !!
    When I get the nerve up to try it on mine I'll let ya know ….lol

zipper046 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted