ZOID RANT: TEXT Messaging - The new Facebook?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZoidMeister, May 3, 2019.

1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Do any of you have this problem?

My wife is the youngest of six siblings. She and I are the only adults in our extended family that are still employed. All of her siblings have retired. As they are mostly early baby boomers, most are not as technically savvy as y'all are, so none of her siblings (that I know of) have Facebook profiles or are very active on Facebook.

Now all but one of her siblings have kids, us included. I think the younger generation misses not having Mamaw and Peepaw on Facebook. (Side RANT: what the fruck ever happened to the words GRANDMOTHER / GRANDFATHER / GRANDMA / GRANDPA???? If any kid ever calls me Peepaw, I will kick his/her teeth out. Even kids well into their 40's are still using those terms . . . )

But I digress: Anyway, Someone in this extended entourage has determined that if Mamaw and Peepaw aren't going to participate on Facefuck, they will bring Facefuck to text messaging. So now I am on multiple text strings with 12 to 18 participants all sharing, Facefuck style, what is going on in their lives . . . . .

REALLY??? I don't care or need to know what campground you stayed at last night. I don't care or need to know how big a dump little craphead did in his diaper. I don't need to see that "cute little duck" that followed you out of Walmart this morning. Nor do I give a crap about the 38 responses to each photo posted!!!!!!

It has gotten so bad, that I have taken to turning OFF my ringer on my phone. I don't need 35 "notifications" per hour while I am trying to concentrate at work. I told my wife and daughters, if you need to get a hold of me, call my desk phone. I won't have the cell phone on. The only thing my cell phone is good for anymore is as an alarm clock and to check in on Addicts early AM and before I go to bed. Otherwise, it is off.

Oh yeah, ask to be taken off of these threads? That usually elicits fifty or sixty responses. "Why is Uncle Zoid so grumpy." "Does Uncle Zoid need to be on anti-depressants?" "Who is Uncle Zoid angry with? You? Me? The other twenty-three?"

Nobody remembers who started these strings and my $99 Android won't let me remove myself. It's gotten so bad I am ready to go to Walmart and buy a burner cell phone for $65, and change the phone number I have had for the last 19 years to get off of their grid. I mean really?? THIS is why I stopped using Facebook over a decade ago.

Oh yeah, @Hannibal , this thread is for you too . . . . . . . .

I got work to do. Gotta get back to real life. Carry on and share your stories . . . . . . .

Zoid out.

2. Raydog1911

Raydog1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Block their phone numbers. Tell them if there’s an emergency to email you and you’ll calll back. :rolleyes:
    Realistically though there’s no escaping the techno-madness, you’re doomed. :bawl:
    Welcome to 2019.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Colorado Sonny likes this.

3. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Zoid- I’m 43 and already feel like you do. I can’t stand Facebook and group texts.

I’m already looking forward to retiring to a local without cell service.

Last night was a perfect example. I left my phone and Apple Watch in the house and went outside and sat and drank a beer. It was very peaceful. Then I went back in side and my wife and kids asked where I was because no one could find me. I asked if the looked outside and they all said no that they had text me. :o.o:

4. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    I taught my son to call my father Granpa Peepaw as some passive-aggressive revenge, because thats what he gets for not buying me that giant lego space ship when I was five, and cutting his trip to see his grandchildren short because he was worried about his dog having separation anxiety. Otherwise, he was pretty much the ultimate role model of a good early 70s parent, so I have no other beef with him.

But I do hate group texts. I tell people that if I am not going to text my kids, I am certainly not going to text them. Consequently, we get into this weird loop where my sister will text me because she never answers the phone, and I will call her back because I never text, and we will go a month not connecting until my wife and her husband finally get fed up with both of us and just coordinate the family gathering between themselves. I hate text messaging almost as much as I hate the self-checkout lanes at grocery stores, so I feel your pain.

5. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Zoid needs to turn up the power ! :roflmaro:

DB77D97C-1BCF-4D7A-9B58-785BEE8DB590.gif

6. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    You are not lone Zoid

7. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    I know what you mean. My wife does these multiple text things and my phone goes off on every reply. Tech is fine but just leave me out of it. Like ZOID, if you need me - call me.

Capthobo and Colorado Sonny like this.
  8. bobo3020

bobo3020 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Turn off notifications for the group!

9. Flashman

Flashman Active Member Supporting Addict

Jan 3, 2018
    All you have to do is mute conversation. The conversation will continue, but you won't be bothered. I had same issue. I get text messages when something is wrong at work. I dont need them from every event in someone's life. But then I also hate to talk on the phone. I guess I am just old. Talk to my face.

10. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    I could not agree more Mr. Zoid! I was on facefuck for a while and once I saw what so many morons thought I needed to be made aware of I deleted my account. A pure waste of time. No one talks to each other anymore. Worse thing is so many of these idiots actually think anyone really cares about their b.s. Yeah, I'm a member of the early baby boomers and am so glad we did not have the internet while I was growing up. We had to go talk to other kids, to play with other kids and sometimes to fight with other kids. We also had "chores" that had to be done and if it wasn't done then the belt or nice switch was our reward. It was a grand way to grow up, which is something later generations have no clue about.

11. Flashman

Jan 3, 2018
    How many on here have ever experienced the whipping dance. Nowadays it is considered child abuse.

12. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I’m more with Flashman! I hate group text and the constant ping of each response, I usually delete the text as soon as I read it (almost always work related) but I too hate to sit and talk on the phone!!! My mom called me yesterday and while I love my mom immensely she kept me on the phone for 50 minutes!
    She lives 10 minutes away!!!:cry:I would much rather her call and say stop over I need to talk to you.

PS: I’m 49 and I don’t do Facebook either, never have! Didn’t do MySpace, pimpterest or any other social media

13. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Don’t worry I’m Gen-X and grew up the same way! My kids did to so there is hope.

14. Flashman

Jan 3, 2018
    Worse than the group text is the group phone call. Happens when we call our son. We just want to speak to him but we are on speaker for the whole truck to hear. Face to face . Know who your talking to.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  15. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    You guys need more coffee (or maybe less IDK), the good news is they are not calling you on the phone "to talk" at least a text message can be deleted rather quickly.

The only social media I enjoy is Instagram, there tends to be zero political BS going on and I only follow gun related channels with content I enjoy. Twitter is a cesspool of bully's and political pundits that can spell Constitution and Facebook, I just don't get it.

Colorado Sonny and gps man like this.
  16. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    My dear old Mom was a member of the Greatest Generation which of course meant both of my parents lived through the Great Depression. Up until the day she died whenever I called her after a few minutes of talking she would always say "this is costing you money so we had best hang up".
    Yeah, I do wish I was 49 again...

17. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    I feel your pain, zoid. My nieces, nephews and my younger brother and sister all get those giant many author texts going and they all come yo and blow up my simple cell phone. I hate it and simply wait till they have the needed fix them delete the entire mess. So far I haven't missed any emergencies. Deletion is the only fix I know, aside from a new phone number.

18. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I’m still on FB but only for news and a few hunting and cattle related pages. I don’t do “friends”. Group texts are a absolute no go for me, and fortunately, my iPhone will let me remove myself when I’m included in one.

Most people today are so self absorbed that they actually believe everyone is truly interested in hearing about every aspect of their life, but I got news for them. I don’t give a rat’s hairy a$$.

19. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Okay, here is my passive-aggressive reply: GROUP RESPONSE !!!!!

I don't have these options on my 3 year old, $99 version of Android and I'm NOT going to spend $600+ for a frucking PHONE to get those options . . . . . I just turn off everything, and check it WHEN I want to be contacted.

If I spend $600+ on something, it best go BANG . . . . .

I think that's my problem. I don't drink enough at work . . . . . .

You are a very evil son. I am glad we're not related . . . . . . .

Oh shite, don't get me started on THOSE . . . . .

My wife won't go grocery shopping with me because I start beating on the screens if they won't let me continue without "Please bag your item", when I already the fruck did bag it. I beat on the screens until one of the snowflakes comes to unlock the damn thing. It's amazing I haven't been arrested or banned from Walmart yet . . . . .

I have been telling folks and family of late, I don't do "SOCIAL MEDIA", I only do "ANTI-SOCIAL MEDIA".

And you Addicts are my closest anti-social friends . . . . . . . . .

Z

20. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Actually, I am more interested in your rat's hairy azz than I am in what these folks are doing in the eternal spare time . . . . .

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted