Zoid's PSA: The long road back, and don't do WWI . . . . . .

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by ZoidMeister, Apr 28, 2019.

1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    So, many of y'all remember when I was crafting stands.

Back in November of 2017, one exceedingly patient Addict had contacted me to make a special creation for him. Something I had never created before. He sent me his vision in a very detailed sketch (which I just recently re-discovered - like today).

This is what I received, and this is how I committed it to memory . . .

upload_2019-4-28_22-16-49.png

So I started out working on his vision.

In late November 2017, I started having pain issues with my hip which kept me from standing long enough to work in my shop. Due to the discomfort I was having in the beginning, I would gather the strength to muscle through after imbibing medicinal quantities of Amaretto, on the rocks of course. Working strictly from memory of the sketch, I started cutting and crafting the lumber.

Then in January of 2018, the bottom of my world fell out. I lost all desire to work. I struggled to maintain my employment. Woodworking was the furthest thing from my mind. All the while, the pain in my hip becoming more mind numbing, soul sucking.

March comes: I can no longer walk without assistance. A cane becomes a walker. Amaretto is now purchased in 1.75 liter bottles instead of 0.75 liters, then two at a time instead of one.

May comes. Surgery.

Summer comes. Daughters both throw curve balls.

Fall comes. I think about woodworking again, but my wife's health takes a unhealthy turn.

The holidays: First holiday season without my son. Thanksgiving coincides with my son's birthday. My wife's condition making surgery for her condition a necessity rather than elective. Fear of another potential loss sets in. Her surgery comes December 22nd. Spirits in the tank again. I find nothing joyous about the season.

2018 passes . . . . . . what will the new year hold?

2019: Wife is gradually feeling better after surgery. One daughter stabilizes her journey out of the nest. Margie and I are coming to grips with becoming "empty nesters" when that was but a distant hope and dream.

But back to WWI: Over the past six months or so, I have really tried to get back into my woodworking again. I must be honest, each time I began, thinking of the water that has passed under the bridge since I stopped creating, has caused much melancholy in my soul. So much so, that a little medicinal support was required with each of the several of the attempts to get traction.

Therein lies the problem: WWI - woodworking while intoxicated. At least twice in this journey, WWI has caused me to make unrecoverable sophomoric mistakes that required a restart. I also discovered that much of what I used to know (through the tribulations), I have now long since forgotten. Crafting again, has been a journey of rediscovery. What works? What doesn't? How did I ever do that in the past?

Memory is a fickle thing - I have learned not to trust it.

Either I don't learn well, or mine is a creature more elusive than Sasquatch. Going from memory of the sketch above, I continued making progress in a "one step forward, two steps back" manner. At this point in the process I am closer to completion than I have ever been in the journey, however I cannot seem to shake my "sophomoric mistakes". But I must push on to completion as I am out of the raw materials to start over - again.

All the while the ever patient Addict waits for his creation, with little to zero feedback from me.

The good news in all of this: I have finally recaptured a bit of the spirit to create again. My pain (both physical and emotional) has subsided to the point where I no longer need to medicate before crafting. In case you ask, this post is about soul cleansing, self therapy, and sharing my inner thoughts and feelings with a great group of guys (and gals) that have been exceedingly kind to me, patient with me, and whom I have come to trust and value. This is not a "cry for help", but just an honest "State of the Zoid" report. I suspect that newer members won't know what to make of this post - that I understand. Many of you, will understand.

Anyway, here is what I have been working on. I am getting pretty enthused about completing these, and starting a few new ideas. To those of you who have inquired about special creations during the past 17 months, I have not forgotten (mostly). I will go back through my PM's to the best of my ability to confirm our conversations, but please don't hesitate to contact me to remind me. I haven't seen Sasquatch in quite a while . . . . .

Progress on the "Patient Addicts" creation.

IMG_20190428_184939.jpg

IMG_20190428_184958.jpg

IMG_20190428_185029.jpg

IMG_20190428_185042.jpg

IMG_20190428_185109.jpg

IMG_20190428_185215.jpg

WWB, livinthelife, Dub and 19 others like this.
  2. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Other things in-process that I am getting excited to complete . . . . . .

IMG_20190428_191535.jpg

IMG_20190428_191559.jpg

IMG_20190428_191621.jpg

IMG_20190428_191708.jpg

IMG_20190428_191515.jpg

WWB, livinthelife, Lou1 and 22 others like this.

3. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    Moving forward in life is one step at a time, even if you still need that walker.

Take your time but try to get back to your woodworking creations. Those that you have lost and those that have caused some difficulty and at times anguish would not want you to put your life on hold because of them.

Cutting back on the Amaretto would be a good idea.

I know from experience that the great ideas generated while under alcoholic haze are not nearly as great as you thought when you are sober.

Just sayin’

4. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    The walker and cane are long gone. The hole in my soul has been the greatest impediment, but that too has decreased in depth - either that or I have gotten taller of late . . . . . .

I don't think I ever medicated to the point of IMPAIRMENT, just to "impairment."

My wife didn't notice, but my tools did . . . . . . . and the wood felt the effects.

5. Harleyvato

Harleyvato Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    We all have our ways of coping with rough patches. If it’s just ourselves suffering it’s easier to deal with(in my opinion),but seeing s spouse or other family member suffering is a pain that matches no other as in sure most will agree.through all your trials you seem to have done the best you could for you and yours and no one could ask for more than that. Also you followed the first rule in any battle…Don’t quit!.hats off to you for not quitting,glad you’re on the other side of your struggles! Carry on sir!

leadfarmer and ZoidMeister like this.
  6. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    Life can be hard and unfair. I’m just saying that it is also very short and you need to get back on track if you can. What you consider to be “impairment” may be viewed by others as IMPAIRMENT. I think that we typically have a different view of our life than those who may be observing ours.

Just saying... life is truly very short and all we can do is try to live it as best we can.

We are all waiting for you to complete that mystery custom stand.

7. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    Grief is a journey that cannot be taken while medicated. That piece of advice is the best advice I received 15 months ago.

8. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I wish you well, fella.

9. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Glad to hear things are coming together for you, it's been a hard road. Hang tough.

leadfarmer, Capthobo and ZoidMeister like this.
  10. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    Interests wane and wax for a variety of reasons. Glad to see you back behind the saw blade!

I get fired up when I get an idea, and even more fired up when I make the first saw-cut. The momentum keeps me going, and if I can get away with it, I will be in the shop from early in the morning to late in the afternoon. Right until I get things about 80% complete, at which time it becomes a chore. Have to make myself a list of the tedious things and grit my teeth to knock them out one at a time. I'd much rather be back in the 80% than buffing out the third of four coats of poly, which is why I have a bench full of 80% done projects.

I also realized that I was a lot bolder when I was young, didn't have much in the way of tools, and didn't know any better. I realized recently that I have all the tools of a master craftsman, but hesitate to take on really challenging projects for what amounts to fear over not doing everything 'properly' and 'perfectly'. Better to screw up three times on a project and learn from them each time, than to never take on the project in the first place, and learn nothing. I would put down the beer while I am at the router table, though. That **** will take your extremities quick. That's why it can be the best movie I've ever seen these days, and I can still only give it 1 3/4 thumbs up.

11. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    I understand that my post last night was confusing. Rereading it myself sounds like I had just emptied the bottle. I assure you that wasn't the case.

I was wrapping four separate threads of consciousness into that post, typical Zoid style, without delivering the "Paul Harvey" moment. Similar to playing "DOOM2" without any cheats, the reader is rightly and hopelessly lost . . . .

That was my exact feeling last night when I dug up the old sketch of the project to announce to the forum (and to the Addict who requested project) the happy news that I had made significant progress along the trail of returning to my previous state of building.

It was only when I was nearing my destination and saw the sign, "Welcome to Portland" that I realized I had been walking "The Trail of Tears" when I should have been on the "Appalachian Trail."

You see, I ended up in Oregon when I should have been heading towards Maine. At the point of seeing the sign, my only option is to continue into town to see if I can catch the next flight to New England . . . .

Paul Harvey should be along shortly . . .

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    livinthelife, Lou1, isialk and 8 others like this.
  12. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    Well, if you're coming to Maine give me a holler when you get here so we can get together. Lunch is on me!;):)

13. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Not sure I will get up that far this year, but I am still holding out hope for Kentucky the first day of June.

Would that be quail or suckling pig . . . . ?

14. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    I figured that was more literary than literal but if you ever do make it up here don't leave before we can visit. :)

leadfarmer and Capthobo like this.
  15. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Wise you are, but I couldn't let the opportunity pass . . . :cool:

leadfarmer and WC145 like this.
  16. seawolfxix

seawolfxix Asker of the Obvious

Dec 10, 2017
    Is that zebrawood? It looks awesome!

ZoidMeister likes this.
  17. Colt1911Guy

Colt1911Guy Lifetime NRA member

Aug 27, 2017
    I am really happy that you are seeing the light again Zoid.
    Life isn’t an easy road unfortunately for most of us.
    While patience is a virtue, I am excited to see the work!

18. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    @ZoidMeister , Gary ,I’m very pleased at the progress your making
    And your life is slowly coming back together .
    I have but one question —- how is your wife “ Melvin “ doing

livinthelife and leadfarmer like this.
  19. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Yes it is. Those single stands should be completed by next weekend. In the process of finishing them this week.

livinthelife and leadfarmer like this.
  20. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    I left 'Melvin' at the hospital in the care of Robert. I found a patient more suitable to my preferences and brought her home.

Gotta get to work now . . . . . .

TTT bills to pay.

G

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted