1911 Firearm Addicts banner

ZPAP AK experiences?

10K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  fallenangelhim 
#1 ·
Does anyone here have any experience with the new'ish ZPAP AK that is being imported by Zastava Arms USA?

The ZPAP is a AKM pattern rifle made by Zastava Arms in Serbia. The ZPAP should not be confused with the former NPAP, which was made by Zastava Arms but imported by Century Arms. The NPAP had some issues, but the reviews for the newer ZPAP are looking more positive. Rob Ski over at AK Operators Union seems to be giving them a thumbs up so far...

#2 · (Edited)
I found this video after made the original post. It looks like Rob Ski ran into some issues with the fire control group when doing his "sand tornado" test. He was able to fix the problem, but it's something that should have been addressed at the factory.

He also ran into an issue with one of the pins walking out. Again, it's repairable, but hints at a less than perfect design.

But, it did otherwise make it through 5000 rounds without any trouble.

#3 ·
I have a new ZPAP M70 and have been happy to date. I made a few changes to the OEM configuration, as it was a little bit of a "cheek slapper" as some of these tend to be. I changed the muzzle brake, added a higher-power recoil spring, and added the Shepard's Hook pin retaining mod to round out the changes. Total spend: ~$100 for all three.

So far, so good. I have about 400 rounds through the rifle so far. I have had 0 malfunctions, and the slap is far reduced. Shooting is effortless and comfortable, even with my cheek further back on the stock where it is most comfortable for me ergonomically.

I have been pleased with the quality of workmanship on the rifle, the finish, and overall assembly. I have this purely for recreational purposes, so I won't be torture testing or anything like that, but to me it is a nice build, shoots well (and accurately), and is a blast.

There is much strife in the AK world (just like several other communities...Glock comes to mind specifically) where people get awfully twisted in the minutia of what at the end of the day is a tool, built like a tool, to be used like a tool. If someone wants a work of art, get $10k together, order a custom smith-built 1911, and call it a day. Otherwise, in my unprofessional opinion, arguing over the intricacies of a design meant to be built, essentially, as quickly, and inexpensively as possible, and that is ultimately disposable, is....well....perhaps a bit of a fool's errand.

One should purchase what appeals to them, as informed as possible, and go from there. Informed does NOT mean reading arbitrary internet opinions that hold little to no water (and I am not referring to anything specific, or even the video content above, just expressing in general).

#5 ·
I should have mentioned above....even in a standard format Yugo AK, mine it pretty ridiculously loud as well. Also while the new brake/comp makes a notable difference...however at the cost of a nearly comical upward focused fireball which would render night shooting fairly difficult (I purchased the Manticore NightBrake - so aptly named because there is NO way to operate the rifle at night with it attached).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.